New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal Fusion 165Gr. bonded bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone here shot anything other than paper with the new federal bonded bullets? They shoot fantastic in my 300WSM and I plan on useing them for Ibex in September.

Hawkeye47

one of us
posted Hide Post
My question is how are they made? I've heard roumors that they are a copper plated bullet. What with all the BS about copper plated bullets peeling and flaking,(handgun), I'd be skeptical about them holding together.

Not likely they'd be offered as components, so I'll never find out. Be damned if I'll buy factory shells just to try them!

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot it in my .243 and a friend has shot it in his .30-06, it shoots less than moa in both our rifles, if it performs as advertised on game, it'll be good stuff, and at $10-$15 a box depending on caliber, should be a bargain for a premium bonded bullet.

http://www.fusionammo.com

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.fusionammo.com/
According to this,(if you read between the lines), it is a plated bullet. "Jacket is deposited one molecule at a time" sounds like electro-plating to me! Cut a hole in the tip, cut a few skives in the copper and viola!

No thanks, I'll stick with my interbonds!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz:
... What with all the BS about copper plated bullets peeling and flaking,(handgun), I'd be skeptical about them holding together...
Hey grizz, Could you give us a few more details about what you "heard"? Since it is Plated on, I really don't understand how peeling and flaking can happen.

I have seen Nickel plated cases peel and flake, even have a very few left out of one Lot. But that process is a bit different than the Plating Copper on a Lead Bullet process.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same as the Gold Dot handgun bullets. They never seperate.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HC, I've read on various handgun loading forums about the copper electroplating cracking or peeling when the crimp is applied too much. Even some claim the rifling would penetrate the thin copper plate, causing the jacket the shred.

I'm NOT saying I believe it, just what I've read. I've been using the west coast plated bullet in 4 different calibers for my ipsc loads. With good to great results. I even got some ranier plated from midway to try, as they're a bit cheaper, they too worked just fine. The ranier are said to be plated a lot thinner than berrys or west coast. One warning that is always given is to limit the top velocity to under 1400 fps. That's because the plating is so thin higher velocity could defeat the plating. Then along comes some guys saying the west coast 30 carbine 110 grainer can be driven to 2100 fps without problems! Who knows what to believe anymore.

Just could be the fusion bullet may be something to consider, too soon to tell! Some of you may remember my milk jug expansion tests with the Hornady interbonds. I'm tempted to buy a box of the 300 WSM fusions to run through that test! Gad, I can't believe I said I'd buy a factory shell!

Your faithful dog

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the fusion bullets but I have seen the peeling first hand in a pistol bullet. I loaded some 230gr 45 cal gold dots in my 45 colt blackhawk and did a water jug test. The core of the bullet penetrated quite far but each petal of the bullet completely peeled off the bullet. Only things left were the peelings and a core with a plated base.

Butch

Posts: 62 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 05 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizz,

How did you test the interbonds? Did you fill the jugs with liquid and what distance did you shoot them. I might just test some myself.

Hawkeye47

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my new 7mmWSM, I plan on trying the 150 gr. Fusions and the 140 gr. Accubonds, as soon as I can find any factory loads for sale. Whichever one shoots best on paper, I will use those on my trophy whitetail buck this fall and let y'all know how they perform! Betcha whichever one I use, it results in a bang/flop, just like my 7mmMag!

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sportsmans Warehouse carries Federal Fusion ammo...seems to me the only mag ammo they had last time I was there was 300WM.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye47:
Grizz,

How did you test the interbonds? Did you fill the jugs with liquid and what distance did you shoot them. I might just test some myself.

Hawkeye47

Hawkeye, here's the set-up. The range is 100 yds, I was using my 300 WSM and the 165 interbond.

And here's the results.

The interbonds penetrated 3 jugs, the bullet was laying in the 3rd jug. Weight retention was in the mid 80 percents. Expansion was .750 and up.

Your faithful dog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizz,

Thanks for the info! I'll fry to test a few of the Fusion rounds in that manner. I don't see anything wrong with the Interbond bullets on soft skinned animals. It might be diffrent if heavy bone were contacted, but the bullet isn't designed for that.

Hawkeye47