Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler BT's for the 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
I went out on Saturday and shot my new 30-06. 60 gr of RL22 yielded 2750 fps and great accuracy. My question is.... Have they beefed these up enough for elk use? I can use another bullet but I do not have all the time in the world. I am not talking raking shots here. Thanx

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I just copied this post from over at the campfire.It may shed some light on peoples opinions of this bullet.

Mule Deer

Campfire Guide

Reged: 07/24/01

180 .30 Ballistic Tips Tough Bullets

#338867 - 09/03/04 06:58 AM Edit Reply Quote

I just spent some serious time with the Nosler boys and it seems that they remodeled the 180-grain .30 caliber Ballistic Tip a couple of years ago. Now it has basically the same tough, heavy jacket construction as the bigger BT's, such as the 200 .338--which explains why some of the Campfire guys have had such good luck with it even on heavier game.

The changeover came not quite two years ago, so any 180 .30's now available have the heavier jacket.

MD

I just came back from my annual elk hunt during which I killed my sixth elk with the 180gr ballistic tips out of my 300 ultramag.I have also killed two moose with this load.Results so far have been very good with 7 of the 8 bullets exiting.I do use only lung shots.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop, try RL 22 60-62grs with the Barnes 180gr Triple Shocks.This a much better bullet to use on elk and this load gave me the best accuracy I've ever gotten with my '06.

Two caveats though: 1)Clean all other copper fouling from other bullets before shooting a group with the Barnes bullets. These are pure copper bullets and other copper alloys in the barrel degrade the accuracy. 2)Seat the bullets .050" off the lands (use a comparator not OAL). Both of these points are covered in the product brochure, but like most people I didn't pay it much attention until someone else pointed out why I was getting only mediocre groups with these bullets and everyone else was raving about their accuracy.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Thanx Guys!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I currently have 168 TSX loaded up in my .06 and wouldn't hesitate to pop and elk with this load...no pun intended POP.

However, Geronimo suggested the 180 with Re22. Will give that a try as well as soon as bullets arrive. I like the 'one gun one bullet' idea but I also like contingency plans...'one gun many bullets, take your pick.'

I also just loaded up the 180 Ballistic Tips for my brother's 300 SAUM for Colorado. Finished up last night about midnight. Elk is only a possibility. Mulies on the menu for sure. He'll have his PacNor barreled 270 with 130TSX on Re19 (same as my Ruger load). The 300 is pushed by 60.5 IMR4350, the exact load Nosler had as their most accurate.

180 NBT is a different animal than it used to be. I believe it can be trusted so long as you hit lung.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can interchange the same weight Accubond bullet or the Hornady Interbond bullets for the Ballistic Tips. In my Winchester Mod 70 30-06 the Hornady SST or Interbond and the Nosler Ballistic Tip are interchangeable with the Powder and Primer combination I'm using.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote