THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would be a good load for a BAR 06 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Like to try some reloads in the old Bar I was asking about. Haven't loaded for auto loaders before. I have a small base 30-06 die and want a load for l50 grn bullets for deer. With the correct powder to work the action. some have suggested 52 grns of 4064 with a l50 for about 2950 in a 22"bbl. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
I replied to the other thread as well.

When I received my BAR after my grandfather passed, I was fortunate enough to also get the reloading journals that he kept for nearly every round he ever loaded. We all new that his BAR was his favorite and it really shows in his load data. Shortly after receieving the new bar he sent it back to have the action 'Beefed' up. Back in the day when you could actually tell a mfg you reloaded, and loaded heavy. Anyway I have loads here from 130gr-200 for the bar. From what I have read and expierianced w/ this rifle is that it really likes 180 adn 200, but will hold better groups with 165nospar. This is not a bullet grandad used though, he seemed to skip from 150 to 180. Mine will not group 150s for nothing. I remember my father telling me it drove grandpa crazy cause he wanted to use the 150 for deer. Call it what you will but the same was true for me when I tried???? Well enough babble, here is some info....

*USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! IN NO WHY AM I RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR CHOICES TO LOAD ANYTHING FOUND HERE AT AR, OR ANYWERE ON THE WEB! FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY!*

Here is a few loads he tried

150 gr Hornady (no other descip)
47.9 gr IMR 3031
51.2 gr IMR 4064
51.6 gr IMR 4895 (SPEER #12 LISTS 49.5 AS MAX!)
49.9 gr IMR 4320
(he had no crono so I wont quote his esimated vel)

Regards,
JAG

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
one more thing I found interesting. Here is a passage from grandpas journal. Sorry for the translation as his writting is like mine, it sucks!

Monday OCT, 11th 1971
"The deer I shot in Halfway I used a 150 gr hornady, norma case and 3031 powder and it went through one shoulder and just about took the other off. So I can load down on my 06. The rifle is shooting fine and right on at 100 yards, and only good for "body" (?? not sure of word) shots out to 250 yards"

It seems that he was able to get good performance out to 100, but unreliable past that.

Friday, December 17, 1971
"I loaded a box of 20 for the 0/6 adn loaded them 2 gr over max. But I had Dave (my father) fire two in the browning auto. the primers was not flatened no worse then a normal load"

*got engulfed in reading the journal*
*back now*

ANyway, neat info at the very least,

Regards,
JAG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing it's really neat that your grandfather too suck good notes. I'm getting a little long in the tooth myself and wish I had kept notes on all the really old rifles that pass through my hands.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would only use 50 gr's of 4064, or 48gr of 4895, with the 150. These are proven loads in the 30-06, and perform well in a automatic.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
GSF1200,
Curious as to were those loads are "proven". I am not being an ass, just wondering as you made no reference other then ..

"I would only use 50 gr's of 4064, or 48gr of 4895, with the 150. These are proven loads in the 30-06, and perform well in a automatic."

Thanks,
JAG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Proven match loads for M1 Garand, and 1903 Springfield.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sierra list's 51.2 gr's as the most accurate with a 150gr, they are using Win brass, with military or Rem 50gr would be same.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In a bolt action, I tend to favor the slower powders like 4350 and VV 160 in the .30-06. However, in an autoloader you have to be careful about gas port pressures, and the slower powders may exhibit excessive gas port pressures even with fairly mild loads (not necessarily related to peak chamber pressure). I suggest sticking to powders in the "medium" burning range like 4064, 4895, 4320 or any of similar burning rates from other manufacturers that are slower than 4350.

I haven't loaded for the .30-06 in the BAR, but do have a .270 BAR. H-4831 shows signs of excessive port pressure compared to factory loads in my gun.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
gsf1200,
THanks for the info. I have given up on a 150 gr load for mine as I tend to shoot 165, 180, but maybe .358 will have better luck with his.

My best advice, is to find a good published load, start there and load to 'YOUR' gun. That will always give you the best results. Besides thats more range time for you!!

Happy shooting