New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: digital scale suggestion ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, an electronic scale may not be the best way to go for several reasons. I am not certain that I can say that they are as durable as the best of the mechanical scales, especially those with agate bearings. I have an old Ohaus, which is now marketed by RCBS as the 10-10, I think. It has done well now for about 30 years. I doubt that the electronic models will go that long. Of course, I handle the scale like what it is: an unequal arm balance. In addition, no scale or balance will hold accuracy or sensitivity forever, and it is necessary to check their calibration from time to time. A good set of calibration weights is needed. You can easily calibrate either type of scale, but I am a little uncertain that the innards of electronic scales are as robust or simple in design as are the mechanical scales. Electronic scales are not any faster, if you have good technique with the mechanical scale, either. Try one of the best of the mechanical, first. Geo. P.S.> I have both kinds, including one of the best ever electronic, made by an old company in Denver, now Denver Instruments, formerly Wm. Ainsworth Co., that makes laboratory balances. It is not one whit better than my old Ohaus. It is sexier.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is DON�T. I have been listening to people on different boards bad mouth different digital scales. According to what I have been told (and seen) it is and accuracy problem. There is a reason most doctors offices don�t use digital scales.

I have a low end hornady that I don't use and a high end RCBS that is very good and accurate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Denver Accurate Load IV for several years. It is excellent.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
I am about to buy a digital scale, just don�t know which ... want it to be an (almost) life investement so I am looking for the best (most accurate and durable) one ...

Any suggestion (and motives) will be apreciated

Thank you all in advance

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Dillon digital and am only moderately happy with it. It seems to lose zero fairly regularly requiring me to dump the pan and rezero. Wiping everything with an anti-static cloth seems to help some with that. Sometimes I go for a whole session without it happening and sometimes it's a real struggle. My old balance beam is a RCBS 5-0-5. I'm not much fond of it either but I do drag it out from time to time when the Dillon is really acting up.

Ian

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having the ooportunity....or to put it a different way the unfortunate situation where I have had a couple I would say this. I had one stolen that was a Dillon Determinator that was excellent...never a problem. I replaced it with a PACT BBK that is absolute junk.... That being said a digital scale serves a different function than a beam scale does. With a digital you can weigh objects of an undetermined nominal weight quickly and very much accurately. With a beam scale you cannot do this quickly if at all.
I use both (whenever the PACT decides to work), a digital for bullets, loaded rounds, case lots but my old 5-0-5 for known powder charges.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Afrikaander:

I'd vote for the Denver Instrument accurate load IV- I've used one for about 10 years with no problems. It maintains its calibration well, according to the Lyman check-weights I use. However, it's not exactly cheap.

I had an early RCBS electronic scale, it lasted a few years and then died, without any apparant possibility of resuscitation. I can't recommend that one.

For the past year I have been using a Competitive Edge Dynamics "Digital Electronic Pocket Scale" to do load development while at the range. It's small, battery-friendly, agrees with the Denver scale up to about 150 grains or so, and features a clever "windscreen" widget to block breeze-induced misreadings. It enabled me to get my Savage 6.5-06 down to about 1/2 MOA. I haven't had it long enough to address your need for a "livetime purchase".

I hope this helps
Rosse

Posts: 48 | Location: SE PA, USA | Registered: 28 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ive used the rcbs trickler/scale combo and just bought a lyman 1200. the lyman is easier as it is one unit, it as also faster than the rcbs. another thing i like is that it has a plastic cover over the weight as it is dispensing, so air currents dont move it around. so far after one week i am happy and feel it was an upgrade from the rcbs. it also seems to "think" more than the rcbs. it was off a tenth of a grain here and there that was annoying. the lyman seems to not do that so far.

Posts: 111 | Location: eagle river ak | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have both, and only use the digital now. I have a Pact and I think it is the way to go. If I upgrade, I would get the Lyman 1200, which trickles the powder for you.

Same here,have the Pact with the Dispenser.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote