Find
Notify
Tools

universal trimmers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Gonna buy a new universal case trimmer. Which is the best???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to trim pistol and rifle brass on the same trimmer, the Forster trimmer is a good one.

If you only want tot trim rifle brass, the L.E. Wilson trimmer is hard to beat. They have pistol case holders for it, but they are not very convenient to use. The new Q-type pistol cartridge holders are better, but still not as convenient as other trimmers.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Forster trimmer is a good one

Thanks BigJake! Will the Forster Trimmer accomodate odd-balls like .43 Spanish?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Some Lymans have a problem of not cutting the case mouth square. I got mine close by adjusting the shaft/unit that holds the brass . Not good for Bench Rest shooting. Ok for hunting & pistol.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have to buy a case holder for each family of cartridges, i.e. '06 family etc. but other than that expense, the Wilson/Sinclar trimmer in the Sinclair stand is just awesome. Not for super high volume, but very precise, and you can trim, chamfer and debur with it. I use it the most, and I have a Giraud, a Forster and the Lee cutters and studs array. The 'lathe' quality of the Wilson is just sweet.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
trim, chamfer and debur

Are you able to do all of this in one step?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Lee Zip trim for all my rifle cartridges for a couple years now. Love that it is cheap and that the universal case mount assembly means no shell holders. ALWAYS cuts the case to close length and is always square!

have fun

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forster is probably the most versatile trimmer on the market. You can trim, ream, hollow point, clean and de-crimp primer pockets, and turn necks all on the same lathe. You can also get an attachment to hook it up to your drill.

I like a lathe type neck turner myself, as opposed to a hand held. I turn necks often enough to make it worth my while to have bought 2 Forster lathes-- one for trimming and reaming and one for neck turning. If you are not loading for a tight chamber like those in match barrels, the neck turner is probably a waste of money.

http://www.forsterproducts.com...id=27805&catid=19938

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forster. Had a RCBS "clone" of the Forster. It was junk!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Forester lathe for 25 years now and it is still as good as new. I also use it for neck turning, reaming and length triming. My only complaint is that I only have one.

Bob

Posts: 7 | Location: Gloucester, MA | Registered: 14 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have RCBS Trim Pro Case Trimmer. I recently learned they have a 3-Way Cutter. This cuts champers and debures in one operation. I have one on its way in 6mm so I will be able to comment further when it gets hear.
I like the RCBS Trim Pro Case Trimmer because of the way it locates the case head. Some trimmers use collets that grip the outside diameter of the case head. This will not give uniform case length, as there is great variance in case diameter. This means the case isn’t located the same every time.
I am currently using a power trimmer from Gracie case prep. This unit indexes on the case neck and has a 3 way cutter. http://www.matchprep.com/trimmer.htm I was lucky to have the use of this unit as I am doing a bunch of 308 cases.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustinl:
quote:
trim, chamfer and debur

No, unfortunately not. You have to have a different 'bit' but it is easy enough to slide the different tools in to the trimmer....

Bill Cooley, the gracie is very similar to the Giraud, and I can tell you that overall case length will vary a good bit when trimming with these as they index off of the shoulder, which IME is not INCREDIBLY consistent. I trim after sizing, as one should, and even then length varies a good little bit....it probably doesn't really matter, certainly not as much as consistent neck tension, but I just mention it FYI, I like the EXACT length of a lathe type trimmer, especially the Wilson/Sinclair.

When I got a big batch of 223 or 308 though, I still use the Giraud!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
quote:
Originally posted by dustinl:
quote:
trim, chamfer and debur

No, unfortunately not. You have to have a different 'bit' but it is easy enough to slide the different tools in to the trimmer....

Well yes you can do all three operations in one step. I have RCBS Trim Pro Case Trimmer. I recently learned they have a 3-Way Cutter. This cuts champers and debures in one operation. I have one on its way in 6mm so I will be able to comment further when it gets hear. The Gracie also does all three operations in one step.

Bill Cooley, the Gracie is very similar to the Giraud, and I can tell you that overall case length will vary a good bit when trimming with these as they index off of the shoulder, which IME is not INCREDIBLY consistent. I trim after sizing, as one should, and even then length varies a good little bit....it probably doesn't really matter, certainly not as much as consistent neck tension, but I just mention it FYI, I like the EXACT length of a lathe type trimmer, especially the Wilson/Sinclair.

When I got a big batch of 223 or 308 though, I still use the Giraud!

The only problem with consistentsey is when the cases were not completely resized, or when the cases are resized with a different die. I had a large variety of different cases some I wasn’t the one who resized them. ON the ones that were from a batch I resized the over all length was verry consistent 2.0000 to 2.0005 you could separate the others by lot and re adjust the trimmer but I just run them through my sizing die.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
I've used Lyman's Universal Trimmer for 2 years now without any problems. Priced pretty well!

Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've used Lyman's Universal Trimmer for 2 years now without any problems

I've used mine for about 35 years, the original battleship gray color. Only "problems" I've had were self inflicted.

I love the universal case holder. Like that they include a kit of nine common pilots. Also like that the case pilots are quite simple and readily made on any small lathe if need be for unsual calibers.

And that Lyman has several accessory tools that can be used in it, such as the debur tool, primer pocket uniformer and crimp removal reamer and cleaners, etc. My "crank shaft" is gitting a bit worn and sloppy but it still does plenty good work for my factory rifles.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote