New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mixing solvents???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been iquiring about which solvents should not be mixed (in the barrel,..not in a bottle).

I know there are the combinations that would cause damage,..but in my travels I have never seen a list that states which brands or even which types (base compostion,...or active ingredients) CAN'T be mixed without damage.

Does anyone know which brands/types or know of a place to find this info?

Thanks

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never mix chlorine and ammonia! Results can easily be fatal. I'm sure other answers will appear but this one is a hard and fast rule.
Gene

Posts: 125 | Location: Altus, OK,USA | Registered: 30 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
May be an old wive's tale, but I've been told that Sweet's 7.62 Bore Cleaner, due to the high amonia content, should not be allowed to mix in bore with Shooter's Choice. I make it a practice to dry patch between different types of solvents just to play it safe.

Sweet's is excellent @ removing copper fouling when used per directions.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 918 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barnes CR10 and Hoppe's, can we say immediate corrosion boys and girls.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
larrys,...why no CR10 and hoppe's? What is the ingrediants that mix to form corrosion? By corrosion I assume you mean "pitting"?

hm1996,...why no sweets and shooters choice,..they both have ammonia content,..only one is stronger than the other? Is there some activator in one that rects with the other?

This is the kind of info I am looking for, thanks so far guys.

[ 07-28-2003, 21:14: Message edited by: JustC ]

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
JustC: Well, as I said in original post, "I have heard......". Your question as to why prompted me to do a little homework (which I should have done long ago). I called Shooter's Choice and posed the question to their technical dept.

Their answer was that prior to Shooter's Choice coming out with their own copper solvent, they used Sweet's and Shooter's Choice MC#7 solvent without any problems in their bench rest rifles. He did say that they normally dry patched in between the solvent change. He said where most problems arise is if someone tried to blend two or more bore cleaners together.

Another old wive's tale put to rest, guess I'll go ahead and use that bottle of Shooter's Choice after all. [Smile]

Regards,
hm

Posts: 918 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I met someone who was very ill. I asked why ? He was going to paint a bathroom but had to clean it first so used ammonia and chlorine bleach .I explained to him that he was lucky to be alive and hoped that he didn't have permanent lung damage. In a similar vein trichlorethylene, when exposed to flame or sparks will produce phosgene gas, very toxic.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hm1996,...we must have been minutes apart. I called shooters choice today as well and had a nice long conversation resulting in the same info you recieved. Nice to know that sort of thing.