New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite 44 Special Powders?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been using a few grains of Unique for fun to shoot 44spl loads in a redhawk but I was wondering what everyone else was using. Bullets of 180gr-240gr are what I am using.

good shooting

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am shooting just over seven grains of WW 231 and the 240 gr Keith in a 7.5" Colt. It makes about 1000 fps. Not a light load nor max. Just right for me.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to shoot H110 with 240 gr JHP in my 44 mag, but when my wimpy brother comes over and wants to shoot, I download the revolver with AA#9 [same powder as Ramshot Enforcer and probably the same as H108 and WC820]
That powder gives me a wide range of loads from 44 special to 44 mag. Dialing in the right load for the wimp, I find that half way between 44mag max and 44 special max is just right for Goldylocks.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I use Unique or Bluedot for all my less than full power loads.

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Lately I've been using Nitro 100.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unique is the "classic" .44 Spl. powder. Depending on the gun, load 6.3 gr. or so with a 240 bullet for the Charter Arms to keep recoil low. Go up to 7.0 gr. of so in stouter, heavier guns with the same bullet.

For .44 mag loads I use around 8.5 gr. or a little more for a mild 240 gr. load. Some folks load up to 10.0 gr., but I get high pressure signs way before that.

p.s. Mike Cumpston, a talented gunwriter, has tested some new Unique and says that it take less of it than the old. You might want to check that out. I haven't used up my last can of old Unique yet.

Posts: 157 | Location: The Edge of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote