New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harrells Custom 90 Measure
 Login/Join

posted
Hi
Has anyone used this measure, and can provide some feedback about it? I'm in the market for a new measure, and would prefer a Culver type (shoot some benchrest as well), and this measure seems reasonably priced when compared to Harrells other measures. Mainly looking for consistency and repeatability.
Cheers

Posts: 2 | Location: Brisbane, Aus | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Peter>
posted
Go to benchrest.com. Those guys think very highly of the Harrell measures.
peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is Joe's comparison of a Harrell and an RCBS Uniflow:
http://www.realguns.com/commentary.htm

If you are reading this some time from now, the article may be moved to the archive:
http://www.realguns.com/

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For that price I think you can get the electronic trickler/scale combo from Lyman. Punch in how much you want and watch the dispenser spit it out. I don't know how accurate it is though, depends on the scale they send with it I suppose.

Ruger#1

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Harrels and in my application of reloading for Service Rifle Competition, it has been less than satisfying. It's been put to use essentially loading two powders; RE15 and Varget, both med grain extruded powders. (In our sport, not many use ball powders).

I can expect no better than +/- 0.2 grains accuracy (total variation of 0.4 gr) with these powders and I find myself constantly checking charge weights on a scale. My lack of confidence in the consistency of this measure has not allowed me to achieve the speed and efficiency of reloading that I had originally purchased the Harrels for.

Tonight was the final straw. In reloading for a match this weekend, I ran 50 short range charges. A final visual check noted varying fill volumes in the case. I dumped out the whole lot and will start over using a scale to check on each round.

I'll let everyone else speculate whether it was my technique or just an extruded powder thing. I'm dusting off the Lee measure that some kind soul was nice enough to give me.

Posts: 192 | Location: USA | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris F:
I have a Harrels and in my application of reloading for Service Rifle Competition, it has been less than satisfying. It's been put to use essentially loading two powders; RE15 and Varget, both med grain extruded powders. (In our sport, not many use ball powders).

I can expect no better than +/- 0.2 grains accuracy (total variation of 0.4 gr) with these powders and I find myself constantly checking charge weights on a scale. My lack of confidence in the consistency of this measure has not allowed me to achieve the speed and efficiency of reloading that I had originally purchased the Harrels for.

Tonight was the final straw. In reloading for a match this weekend, I ran 50 short range charges. A final visual check noted varying fill volumes in the case. I dumped out the whole lot and will start over using a scale to check on each round.

I'll let everyone else speculate whether it was my technique or just an extruded powder thing. I'm dusting off the Lee measure that some kind soul was nice enough to give me.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris F:

I have a Premium Culver from Harrel and have also become somewhat disheartened. With fine grain powders such as VVN120 in 222rem volumes it is outstanding being within the +/- 0.1gr of my RCBS scale.

With VVN160 and 40-50gr throws it is in the region of +/-.3gr I have come to realise that this is due to great sensitivity on exact repetition of speed/power of cycling and perhaps also the level of powder. Given that I only load in batches of 40 or for these rounds I throw under and trickle up.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"With VVN160 and 40-50gr throws it is in the region of +/-.3gr I have come to realise that this is due to great sensitivity on exact repetition of speed/power of cycling and perhaps also the level of powder. Given that I only load in batches of 40 or for these rounds I throw under and trickle up."

For this procedure $4 Lee scoops will do, imho.

A bit OT, but let me add what I've found at Cabela's:

"Lyman Digital Powder System
Thanks to Lyman's new Digital Powder System you can conveniently, accurately speed up the powder measuring and dispensing process as well as eliminate some of the clutter on your loading bench. The revolutionary Programmable Powder Wizard combines a digital powder scale and dispenser into one incredibly easy-to-use unit. It's not called the Wizard for nothing. The unit will save and store as many as 20 of your favorite loads, letting you recall any of them by cartridge, specific powder and weight. No calibration or flow rate settings required, just select the load you want and start dispensing powder. It dispenses powder quickly without sacrificing precision. In fact, it's accurate to +/- .001 grain all the way to the scale's large 1,200-grain capacity . The Wizard can be used as a complete dispensing system or as just a scale or scale/powder trickler combination. Extremely fast and simple to use with any size or shape powder, large, long grains or fine ball."

+/- .001 grain accuracy - I say: ooops !

[ 04-04-2003, 19:03: Message edited by: waitaminit ]

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waitaminit, this the description from the Lyman site. I think that .001 grain that you read must have been a typo. I wonder how many thousandths of a grain a single piece of extruded powder might weigh. [Smile]

"Lyman's Revolutionary 1200DPS Digital Powder System combines a precision electronic Powder Scale and an automatic Powder Dispenser into one easy to use unit. The DPS remembers up to 20 of your favorite loads and you can easily recall any of them by Cartridge, Specific Powder and Weight. No Powder Calibration (Flow Rate) is required, just select the one you want and start dispensing powder. It dispenses powder quickly and is accurate to + or - 1/10 grain. It can be used as a complete Dispensing System, just a scale or as a Scale and a Powder Trickler. The 1200DPS is fast, accurate and affordable."

one of us
posted Hide Post
You want speed with "single grain" resolution?

Here you go!
http://www.askfirst.com/prometheus/

Posts: 192 | Location: USA | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From outward appearances, that looks like they've married up a standard RCBS Uniflow with a beam scale, a trickler and some kind of dump system.

Odd looking contraption it is. [Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to sound like a smartass but how did they solve the powder crunching/shearing/vibration problem?

One of the neat features of the Powdermaster is that it leaves your powder intact, stick, flake or ball.

Paul

Posts: 130 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
xaeros,
One thing about buying a Harrell's powder measure is that if you are not satisfied with it,(and when you talk to Lynnwood Harrell he will tell you this) just send it back and he will refund your money. if you want to know how good they are just go to a Benchrest match and see what powder measure are most used. i am very satisfied with my Harrell's powder measure's(yes i have more than one)found this new powder measure on the internet. any one know about these. see link:
http://www.quick-measure.com/qm.htm

Posts: 47 | Location: California | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote