Find
Notify
Tools

Low Recoil, But Effective Load for 338/06s
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted
I was out chronographing some 338 Mag loads and took along several loads for the 338/06 also ( along with the 338/06 Rifle of course)....

One very accurate load that I chronographed, based on the low recoil for that round.. was the velocity I got off of 35 grains of SR 4759 and a Hornady 200 grain bullet...

My Model 70 with a 24 inch barrel chronographed 5 cartridges.. from 2399 fps on the low end to 2408 fps on the high end... this was using Winchester Large Rifle primers...Winchester 30/06 brass necked up...

I thought this was pretty darn handy.. it would definitely be a good 250 to 300 yd load if zeroed right...

Replacing the Hornady with a TSX or Accubond, or even the Ballistic Tip would just increase the potential...

summarized

35 grains SR 4759..
200 grain Hornady SP
Win LR primer

MV 2400 fps, 24 inch barrel..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
archerWhy such a large velocity spread? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
archerWhy such a large velocity spread? beerroger

jerking the trigger...
BOOM

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Before you take it hunting, you may want ot test some bullets for expansion. Being as most bullets are designed for the 338winmag vel. they may or may not expand at impact vel. much below 2000fps or so. Maybe 200gr Hornady, I find them on the soft side, as well as the 200gr Speer.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
actually Fred, I think anyone of the 200 grain and lighter bullets would work just great.. 2400 fps is a useful velocity, and are not as hard as the 210 grains and up....

I have some of these that I loaded up a while ago.. some with 200 grain SP Hornady's.. and some with the old discontinued 200 Gr FN's for the old 33 Winchester...

gonna play with some IMR 4198 and RL 7 and see what I can come up with also...

This load definitely recoils much less than my load of 50 grains of 4064, and a 200 grain bullet for an MV of approximately 2500 fps.... only a 100 fps slower...

easily a 200 to 250 yd load.. and that is all I normally ask of any load I shoot..exceptin' for varmints...

John Quincy Adams