THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What constitutes big bore, medium bore, & small bore?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What constitutes big bore, medium bore, & small bore?
 Login/Join

<Buliwyf>
posted
Gentlemen:

In your opinion where are the divisions in calibers that constitute big bore, medium bore, and small bore?

For example, big bore .40 caliber and above; medium bore .284 - .375; small bore .17 - .277.

Thanks for you input.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can stick your thumb in the barrel it's a big-bore. Everything else is irrevelant. [Wink]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Buliwyf>
posted
HA HA HA. Works for me!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill Clinton is a big bore.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Personally,

Big bores are 45 and over, medium bores are 8mm to 40 caliber, with the 40 being a heavy medium, and 30 caliber and under is small bore.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted
I have a little trouble with the 300 magnums in the same class as the .17's and .14's. Maybe you need a couple of more classes.

<Buliwyf>
posted
Paul H:

I think your view accurately puts the calibers in perspective. Good global view.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Small bore: .140 to .298
Medium bore: .308 to .375
Big bore: .401 to .700
Biggest bore: My ex-wife...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Paul H is correct, now I do not feel over gunned if I shoot grassy's with my .416 or .375 [Big Grin]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Biggest bore: My ex-wife...

So you're saying you could stick more than a thumb in there? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul H,good view...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Oh HELL!!!
depends on your YEAR of reference... 100 years ago, a 577 BPE was a medium, a 40 was a pistol, and a 4 bore was a heavy...

Here's THE drill, and i disagree with all my brothers on this one.. if it's legal to hunt Big Five, it's a big bore... 9,3x62 is FAR more of a big bore than a 50 AE, even though we are talking .366 vs .500 (yep, .500) bore.

IMNSHO
375 IS a light big bore, TODAY, all 40+ rifles are, and anything pasy 458 aint a question...

<whew> 500 jeffe is the KING of big bores... hey, did I say that out loud?

jeffe

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote