New
Find
Notify
Tools

Copper plated case?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
SmilerJust curious about a case I found. I was picking up cases and found a 308 case. I took it home and noticed it wasn't a brass color but a copper color. I polished it and it turned out bright copper maybe a tad duller than polsihed copper tubing, more like reddish bronze. The head is stamped 19 on one side and 93 on the other. I don't see a crimp in the primer, might have been reloaded as it looks like a Remington or Winchester primer.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Slap a magnet next to it...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another random thought. Hydrochloric acid will turn brass a copper color. The acid leaches out the surface zinc and leaves only copper behind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
russia and china both produce steel cases copper plated. very common especially in 7.62x39

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
Last week another shooter at the range offered me his 308 cases .
Most were imported steel cases with a copper looking wash.

Not sure from were , maybe Wolf ?
I didn't mess with them
I saw they were importing 308 and 30-06 ammo

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MadOk a cheap communist imported steel case! They can kiss it where the light don't shine as far as I am concerned! thumbdown shame Mad

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote