New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistic Software
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
This is not strictly related to Big Bores per se, but since I plan on using it for big bores mainly and since many of our big-bore ballistic geniuses frequent this forum (amongst others) thought I'd try here first.

Anyhoo, I have gotten by with some simple exterior ballistics software low these many years but have decided its time to upgrade to some interior ballistics software. I hear of lots of guys using Quickload and Accuload, and I know there are others out there.

My question is, which software to you prefer?

Also, for those that have tried two or more, please let me know why you prefer one or the other.

Question:
Which software to you prefer?

Choices:
Quickload
Accuload
Load from a Disk
Other?

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been impressed with evidence-based reality findings compared to AccuLoad3 predictions, in my limited experience with QuickLoad, Load From a Disk, and AccuLoad3.

They all have their limitations.

AEM are nice folks to deal with, on AccuLoad III.
"hockeypuck" is the ar.com handle of the mastermind there,
Ed Reynolds, CEO, AEM Enterprises, Inc.
and he used to post here more frequently than I have seen of late. A link: www.aement.com

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, 109 views and only 5 responses....guess not too many of us use this software...

BTT one more time, then will move to "Reloading"..

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Quickload is a powerful tool. It takes some experience to use it easily. For me it does.
At the beginning I would'nt call it user friendly.

Predicted results are close. The program can give you a look at a wide variety of powders based on your request for a certain velocity with your case.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quickload is a very good program, but it is generally extremely conservative across the board, at least regarding the Nitro Express loads.

When either Norma came out with their loads for the 470 NE, they published loading data for the MRP and MRP-2 powders. The MRP-2 data essentially filled the case. When I ran the MRP-2 loads through Quickload, the screen basically went red - compacted load, overpressure, danger Will Robinson.

Another gentleman from Sweden got the same results. We shared our data with Norma, and to their credit Norma went back to the lab. After a few weeks of testing, Norma concluded that their information was correct and the loads wee safe.

I then ran some published loads from a couple of the other reloading manuals, together with some recipes that are commonly used here on AR. It seems that with the American manufactured powders ( e.g., Hodgdon), the Quickload program was more tolerant that it was for the European powders like VV and Norma. And like rusty said, it is a powerful program that is not very forgiving with even minor discrepancies in the input.

For the price, though, it is at the top of the heap.

Here are some other programs I looked at, which were either much more expensive, less accurate or more geared toward exterior ballistics:

http://www.aement.com/

http://www.oehler-research.com/explore.html

http://www.barnesbullets.com/bbw2.html

http://www.perry-systems.com/

http://www.dexadine.com/

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ftp.htm

http://www.bazoesoft.net/proelite.htm

http://www.prodas.com/XQ/ASP/P.4/QX/webPageXML4.htm

http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/calculations.html

And, while not a program, this site has a ton of published loads: http://www.loaddata.com/members/index.cfm

Given the variables that include variations in the same powders from lot to lot, it is always best to start low and work up, using your program of choice as a check on your actual results and not as your primary load development tool.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used AccuLoad 2 & 3, and have no complaints. Once in a while it will suggest something that seems to good to be true (and being me, I tried it, Vel results were as predicted but the bolt lift effort was a tad higher than I'm comfortable with).

AL3 has a real good data base of wildcat rounds, to complament the "standard" cartridges that you would expect to find.

Quite user friendly, too

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
MOVED FROM "BIG BORES" for additional opinions.

Cheers,
Canuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
PointBlank does everything i need it to do at this stage in my reloading life.

it can be obtained at no cost from www.huntingnut.com.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
PointBlank does everything i need it to do at this stage in my reloading life.

it can be obtained at no cost from www.huntingnut.com.

I have been using Pointblank for a looooong time. The version I have is ancient. Thanks for the link...I should update.

I am looking for something to predict powder charges, velocities, pressures etc though....hence the inquiry.

Cheers,
Canuck

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
There is no computer program that can truly predict internal ballistic information. It can give you ideas on where to start.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that prediction is questionable. I will say that since working with quickload I understand a lot of things that were impacting my loads MUCH better. For example, my 7mm Rem Mag fired brass holds 87 instead of 82 grains of water......when that type of variance gets put back into the prediction puzzle things tighten up significantly.

Ditto Quickload for an excellet capable program, and also for giving loads that are great starting points. You still need to be the responsible expert for your own gun, and work up (or down) accordingly.

I like Quickload a lot, and think it is well worth the money. I consider it a fabulous tool for but not an answer for my questions.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Quickload is a very good program, but it is generally extremely conservative across the board, at least regarding the Nitro Express loads.

This is if I remember it well even advised in QL's manual, teh more cylindrical a case the higher the expected variations caused by their algorithms.

I do use and like it a lot and find that most calculated results are pretty close to what teh manuals recommend. I also appreciate that a internal ballistic program errs on teh safe side. The designer, Ing. Broemel, is also very knowladeable and easy to deal with.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a Quickload fan too; I found the predictions to be quite accurate with 270W, 270WSM, 308W, 300WM and 375HH calibers; I mainly use Vithavuori and WW760 powders though.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Canuck, I've got Load From A Disk. Can't remember just how long ago I originally got it, but Wayne Blackwell has Updated it a couple of times.

It is based on the Powley Computer and does fine for Guesstimating. Back when I first got it, I was doing a good bit of Hardware and Software Testing as a Product Evaluation Engineer. Messing with it provided some relaxed time to compare different Cartridges Trajectories without having to Plot and French Curve the data. Used to do that too, back in the "old" CORPS Big Grin.

As most have said, and I feel sure you know, the results are actually Mathematical Models which simply can't account for all the Variances in a Chamber, Bore and Cartridge Components. Any calculated value may be Low, very close, or High in comparison with reality. They can be "misleading" when the values happen to be close because some folks tend to believe they are always completely accurate and tend to relax their caution.

I've not tried the other Programs, so I have no basis for comparison. LFAD does all I want.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May I ask as to what brand Sierra Bullets sells ?.

I've never used any loading software . archer

have recently been considering it though and intend to look into it . I use a and have used a computer for so many years now seems foolish not to have a program for reloading or load development . Thanks for any input .

Shoot Straight Know Your target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote