THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How accurate are wadcutters? Distance limits?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to try out some wadcutters in my .44 Ruger super redhawk. I will be shooting 40 to 100 yards. Are wadcutters accurate at these distances? What are the advantages and disadvantages of wadcutters?
Thanks for the help.

------------------
Join the NRA if you enjoy your American Freedom! NRA.org

Posts: 130 | Location: Central U.S.A | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<bearmanmt>
posted
Tundra,
I own a Super Redhawk in 44 Mag too. One can shoot wadcutters in it with great results.
When I was in the Navy years ago we shot .38 spl and .45 ACP wadcutters out to 50 yards and my Super Redhawk shoots wadcutters and semi wadcutters very well out to 50 yards.
My experience suggests that one should probably keep the velocity to 1000fps or less. This produces excellent accuracy and no leading even after 100rounds.
One of my favorite loads is a 330grain Truncated cone type semi wadcutter at 900 ft per second. Shooting last week with friends, this load is so hard hitting that it broke the hinged steel plates off of the target frame from impact alone.
I have shot some 12" groups with this load at 100 yards with the open sights. This is from a rest of course. This is very good shooting for me.
So, load your wadcutters of whatever shape to a modest velocity and ENJOY!
Great Shooting
The Bearman

<Dan in Wa>
posted
I shoot alot of 148 HBWC in my .38/357's and they are good to 50yds. max. Have a Lyman mold ( can't rememeber the number right now) for the .44 that weighs appox. 180 grs. It's almost as wide as it is long but still shoots fair at 25 yards, but thats tops. The Keith style SWC are a different story.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming!

------------------
Join the NRA if you enjoy your American Freedom! NRA.org

Posts: 130 | Location: Central U.S.A | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having shot tens of thousand of rounds of them in PPC match's out of a good gun they shoot as good or better then some. Out a a good match revolver they well do 2 in at 50 yards. Having shot them at a 100 they well group in 6 in with open sites. They are not the most ballistic shape they lose vel rather fast but they still group.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
IF you are talking about FULL WADCUTTERS of the type used in .38 Special bullseye target competiton loads, their best accuracy is obtained out to about a maximum of a little past 50 yards or so. If you are talking about Elmer Keith style semiwadcutters, well, they hold accuracy up to what we would call REAL long range for pistol shooting!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an LBT wadcutter mold for my .44 (S&W 629). They work great @800-900 fps at 25y but really start to wander at 50y. Maybe it is just LBT's w.c design?
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
<leadbottom>
posted
I doubt you can have a worse BC then a wadcutter. The ones I have shot worked fine at out to 50 yards but were not so good beyond that.