Find
Notify
Tools

problem with .204 and Sierra 32 gr. BlitzKing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi -

I'm trying to load .204s for my Ruger Number 1 rifle. The stated cartridge length is 2.250, but when I seat this deep, the bullets are loose in the neck. I've measured the cases, and they're being properly sized.

What are the implications if I seat the bullets a bit less deep? I used an empty case and a bullet to determine that the bullet touches the lands at about 2.41 inches, so there would seem to be plenty of room.

Any advice? Thanks...

mz

Posts: 58 | Location: Central CA, USA | Registered: 14 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as you have the room then, by all means, push them out there. It does sound odd that they should be loose as this the length that I load mine at.

"Get yourself a Glock and get ridof that nickle plated sissy pistol."

Posts: 28 | Location: Maine | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response. I know...it's a strange problem. I could go down to a smaller bushing on my die, but...the fact that they're OK when seated slightly less deep leads me to believe that this won't help.

Should I alter the load given that I'm seating them out a bit more?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not for starters. The fact that you are seating close to the lands should make them a bit more accurate, though this is not always true. Some people find that they have to back them off a bit for the best accuracy. If you are looking to achieve maximum velocity then you could increase the load a bit but watch for pressure signs of course. Is there any chance that you are starting with new brass and did not run them through your sizing die first? If that is the case then I think we have found your problem. Please take no offense if you have been doing this forever and wouldn't make a rookie mistake like that. killpc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK...I'll stay with the stated accuracy load and seat the bullets to a length of 2.35.

And (heh) no, this isn't unsized brass. Not that I'm not capable of pulling a boneheaded stunt like that, it's just that this time...I didn't.

I'll report back tomorrow.

mz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, which powder or powders are you using. I have had very good luck with BLC-2 and Tac. I suspect that H-335 and H-322 will work as well though I have not tried them yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, today's results were better than any before. The problem is, I've changed three variables:

1. Sierra 32s instead of Hornady 40.
2. Benchmark instead of H335.
3. 2.35" instead of 2.25".

So, I'm not quite sure how to analyze the results. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to go back to the 2.25" length, so maybe I'll next experiment with Sierra 39s at that length.

I'm still holding out hope for the ragged hole.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well good. I'm glad it is working out for you. What were your groups averaging and how many shots were you firing at what distance. My Savage 12BVSS 204 will keep 5 shots of Hornady 32 grain factory under 1/2" consistantly. With my handloads of BLC-2 and Tac using the 32 gr. BK I can most always keep all my groups under 3/8" and most times a lot closer to 1/4".

No, I wouldn't adjust your seating depth at this point. When trying to find the load for any of my rifles I will pick a powder to work with and I will pick two or thre bullets to work with. I like to load 10 of each load so that I can fire two 5 shot groups of each load. If working with 2 bullets I will charge twenty cases with 26.0 grains of powder. If working with three then it would be thirty. Depending how light the loads I started at were I would work toward Max in increments of 2-3 tents until getting close to max then in tenths. If you charge all your cases first then you can seat all of one bullet, adjust your seating die then seat all of the next bullet. This method works pretty well for me. Once I have found the load or loads that show the most promise I might fine tune it by adjusting my seating length.

All of my rifles have shown a preferance for Sierra bullets over the Hornady though in most cases the hornadys are close. My 204s prefer the 32 grain bullets and there has been a lot of people thatsay their rifles just dont handle the 39 grain bullets near as well. I would have to put at least one of my guns in that group. I think you ought to try some BLC-2 or Tac or both. They both meter very and they seem to be very popular in this cartridge.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
All of my rifles have shown a preferance for Sierra bullets over the Hornady though in most cases the hornadys are close.

Same here, I shoot the Hornady's because they are a lot cheaper from a friend who buys in bulk. I sure would like to get together a bunch of guys to buy a bulk lot of the Sierra's.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it is nice to know that I am not dillusional. At least not on this point, anyway. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mzimmers:
Well, today's results were better than any before. The problem is, I've changed three variables:

1. Sierra 32s instead of Hornady 40.
2. Benchmark instead of H335.
3. 2.35" instead of 2.25".

So, I'm not quite sure how to analyze the results. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to go back to the 2.25" length, so maybe I'll next experiment with Sierra 39s at that length.

I'm still holding out hope for the ragged hole.

My experience is with the Savage 204s so you can take this for what it's worth.

We have found in several that the 39 Sierra outshot any 32 gr. we tried. Research on several forums will show that 4895 is a very popular powder for that bullet, and that is what I use. I also found in my 204, the Berger 40 gr. was even a little more consistant than the Sierra. I put several hundred Bergers through mine this past summer, (at pds) and was very impressed with the "longer" range accuracy.

I found on mine, that seating depth was critical to accuracy. Don't know if that is the rifle, the 204 caliber, my loads or what. I do remember that touching the lands resulted in a vertical group, .020 off was a horizontal group. So I split the difference and the problem was solved.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard a lot of good about 4895 as well, probably from a lot of the same boards as you. My problem with 4895 is that it does not meter well. Blc-2 powder is what I started with and my loads wetre in th e .3s for 5 shots at 100. I honestly haven't messed with them much and I won't do all kinds of brass prep. While I say that it shoots in the .3s I have had lots of groups in the .2s as well. I have not had good luck with the 39 grainers. My guns are both Savge VLPs and it may be the concensus that the Savge just don't handle the heavier bullets as well. I say it may be because I have heard this from others but this is only what I have heard. Now that Sierra bullets have gooten ebven pricier than before, at least on Midways site, I might be tempted to try the Berger bullets. Before I just didn't see speding the extra money butnowit seems there is less of a difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, guys -

I decided to make a small FM database for my experimental shooting. I think it is also a good vehicle for sharing my results with you.

Can I get a volunteer to verify that you can see the information? You need to go to:

http://75.25.129.111 (my computer)

You should see a Filemaker banner and a "load records" database.

Click on the data base and you should get a login dialog. Choose the guest login (no password).

This should take you to a page with a report on my most recent shoot. As I add more report pages to this, you should be able to flip through them using the controls to the left on the page, or do a direct search.

I'd appreciate hearing from people as to 1) whether this worked for them, and 2) whether this is a better way to share shooting data.

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Idea unfortunately all I got was a blank page. Actually what it said was no data base available.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try it now...I didn't realize the DB had to be open on my desktop as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The good news is that the link works. The bad news is that I don't think that it is your load that is the problem. Try some factory Hornady and if you can't get it to shoot around an inch then I would start to look at things like accurizing your rifle. Ruger's are notorious for bad factory triggers and that could be most of your problem. The Ruger number one can have problems with the forestock touching the barrel where it should not. I think it can be fixed easily but I do not know how to do it. One thing that might help without doing anything to you rifl is making sure that you rest your rifle the same way everytime you pull the trigger. If your tecnique is the same every time you pull the trigger you may find that it helps. One other thing, when measuring a group you should use your calipers to measure out side to outside of the 2 holes which are farthest apart. Subtract the diameter of the bullet, in this case .204, from that number and that is your group size.