New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which SCALE??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm torn between a RCBS 10-10 beam scale and the Pact Powder Pro digital scale. I have really been wanting a digital.
Any thoughts from OWNERS of each?

Anyone had to test Pacts warranty?

Thanks Guys

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Ultraman,

I have an RCBS Beam scale (but I think it is the 5-0-5), and an RCBS digital. Ninety-nine percent of the time I go to the beam scale. No 15 minute warm-up, no lengthy calibration, no 110 volt required, etc.

Electronic scale might be faster for weighing quantities of bullets or brass, but for trickle charging and "typical" scale use, I like the beam scale better.

FWIW, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hey Ultraman -

Not totally germane to your question (my digital is a Lyman LE500), but, why not both?

It's nice to have two scales; use one to back up the other, and, as a double check to make sure the powder charges are correct.

Weighing/sorting cases is best accomplished with a digital, but, weighing charges, especially if you're a "trickler" is much easier with the beam scale.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a digital RCBS (Pact) and my Balance Beam scale. I have to say that I use the digital the most but I think you should have both types of scales. [Big Grin]

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for the info. I figured trickling up charges would be much faster and accurate on the Pact. Why is that not so? Not arguing, just don't understand. I always come away doubting the accuracy of my beam (Dillon single beam) and thought the electronic (with Calibration weights) would eliminate this doubt and be faster. What about the electronic makes trickling combersome?

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The electronic has an "auto zero" function, and you have to put a significant amount of weight on it at the start (over one full grain, IIRC?), or it will automatically reset the zero. Also, it just seems to take a little while to "catch up" to the actual weight. The beam scale moves steady, consistently, and predictably. I only used the digital once for trickle charging, and it seemed like I spent a lot of time waiting for it, to make sure that I had the right weight.

If I only had one, it would be a beam scale, but having both is not a bad idea. Why not trickle on the beam, and double check on the digital if you're worried about the accuracy of the beam scale? Probably be almost as fast as trickling on the digital.

(Edited to add) If you're worried about the accuracy of your beam scale, you can get the check weights and check it out. I can easily get 0.1 grains accuracy on my beam scale.

Bill

[ 10-24-2002, 18:36: Message edited by: Bill M ]

<Delta Hunter>
posted
I have both a Pact digital and a Redding No. 2 beam scale. I much prefer the beam for measuring powder charges. Used in combination with a powder measure, it's just faster and I have more faith in it. I have loaded a batch of ammo using the digital and then went back and checked the weight of the first rounds charged and have had as much as a 1 full grain discrepancy. I just don't trust it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK you guys have talked me out of the digital and I appreciate all of the advice bigtime. SO being on a budget I am getting one or the other and not both. I want to do this one time so what is the top of the line beam scale (in the $100 range). The 10-10????

Thank you gentleman... people make the site and this site is my favorite for experience-backed info.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Dillon scale looks very similar to my RCBS 5-0-5. I've never had any problems with my 5-0-5.

However, if you want to try something different, the RCBS 10-10 looks even better than the 5-0-5. There are two product reviews on the 10-10 on www.midwayusa.com , both are "five-star", and highly recommend the 10-10 scale. Looks like the scale check weights are on backorder/special order at Midway.

I can't personnaly recommend it because I've never used it, but I wish I had the 10-10 instead of my 5-0-5, looks "premium" to me....

Bill

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry you've been talked out of the digitals. I strongly recommend them for speed and utility.

I have multiple scales. Probably about 7 or 8. Two are RCBS beam scales, a 10-10 and a 5-0-5 (I think.) I have three digitals, including a scientific. My insecurity with the digitals kept me checking powder charges multiple times on all the scales. I've now gotten to the point that my preferred method for accurate loading is with the use of a Pact digital (same as RCBS,) and their trickler system. It's faster for me and just as accurate as the scientific and all the others. I no longer use the beam scales, and haven't for several years. Reconsider the digitals. They are good.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ultraman, do you belong to the Austin Rifle Club? Where do you do your shooting in Austin? I am from Georgetown so was curious. Also, as you get into reloading and need any advice or tips, you could give me a call. I have been reloading for many, many years. Good Shooting!

[ 10-24-2002, 20:40: Message edited by: Shark Bait ]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Sharkbait, yes I do belong to ARC (great club), and Capitol City Trap and Skeet and sit on the board of Austin Woods and Waters Club. Whats your name? Shoot any sporting or skeet? I love the pistols and rifles but shotgun sports is my obsession. I've reloaded since I was a kid, I am just wanting to elevate my equipment now that I am playing with a long distance gun. With this gun I trickle up every charge and just looking for exact charges and maybe a way (electronic) of not bending over so much. I'm pretty proud of my reloading room and have decided my current scale needs upgrading, why hell, its almost Christmas!!!

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Any of the quality (RCBS, Redding, etc..) beam scales are pretty good. I have a 502, 505, 1010 and Redding #RS1. I use the 502 the most. It's simple (simple is good) and easy to adjust. The 1010 is a bit of a pain to adjust the grains and tenths, as you have to turn a little doo-dad back and forth - wiggles the scales all over the place. The 502 and 505 have a sliding hickey that you move from notch to notch to adjust the grains/tenths. If you're doing a lot of different load workups, like trying two or three different ones in 1/2 grain increments (like I just did a bunch of last night) it can save a lot of aggravation. Just a personal thing.

Make sure the beam scale is magnetically dampened, or you'll be able to actually watch your fingernails grow while the pointer settles down. The RCBS scales are damped; I don't think the Redding is (got it for Christmas last year, tried it once and stuck it under the bench and got the 502 back out).

I'm not trying to talk you out of a digital - I'd get a 502 ($48.16 @ MidSouth) AND one of the digitals(LE500 is $111.52; RCBS Partner is $122.54 @ MidSouth), and you'll have a few more dollars invested, but, you'll be set. The digital really IS invaluable if you do any case weighing/sorting.

At my bench, I put a little shelf above there for the scale, at about eye level when I'm sitting in my cozy chair, so I don't have to bend down to look at it. Plus, it keeps the scale isolated from all the clanking, banging, and vibrations that go on while resizing, trimming and stuff.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I too am sorry you were talked out of the electronic scales. I have two RCBS beam type scales and they are in the garage gathering dust in the original boxes.

I load 5 to 6 thousand rounds of ammo a year and use NOTHING but an RCBS electronic scale. Yeah, I need to warm it up a few minutes, but once that is done it is the way to go! PERIOD !

R F [Razz]

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have two RCBS beam type scales and they are in the garage gathering dust in the original boxes.
Hmmmmm. Ultraman, I think I see a way for you to get a digital AND a beam scale at a pretty good price. Buy a digital and work out a deal with R Flowers for one of the beam scales.

In case that doesn't work, R Flowers, are you interested in selling either/both of the RCBS's

R-WEST

[ 10-25-2002, 01:36: Message edited by: R-WEST ]

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
the 10-10

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

The 10-10 is a good scale. Yes, it is a little slow to set up, but a great scale. I use mine for everything other than case weighing and bullet weighing. I use a Cabela's electronic scale for that, mainly because it is so FAST. Its made by PACT, and this one doesn't need any warm-up time for some reason. I guess you really should consider BOTH the beam scale and electronic.... especially if you weigh a lot of cases or bullets.

Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
Ultra,
I use an RCBS 10-10 to set up my Redding 3BR. I check weigh the charge every 5th round or so, and it's always right on.
I use the electronic scale for weighing cases and bullets.
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ultraman,

My name is Dave Flowers. I have been a member of the ARC for about two years now. I typically get out there about once a month to test loads and shoot the breeze with whomever happens to be out there. I have not shot Sporting or Skeet formally, but have causually shot clays and do love shotgunning. I bought a Beretta 391 this year and have used it on Dove so far. I really like that gun! Where is Capital City Trap and Skeet? How can I get more information on this club. Nice to meet you. I am always looking for shooting and reloading buddies in this area. By the way, I use both an RCBS electronic scale and an RCBS 5-0-5 scale. They both have uses in my opinion. I do use the electronic scale for trickling powder and it works fine. You just have to be patient and wait for the scale to catch up. But then again I almost like reloading as much as shooting so patience is not an issue. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Ultraman:
Hey Sharkbait, yes I do belong to ARC (great club), and Capitol City Trap and Skeet and sit on the board of Austin Woods and Waters Club. Whats your name? Shoot any sporting or skeet? I love the pistols and rifles but shotgun sports is my obsession. I've reloaded since I was a kid, I am just wanting to elevate my equipment now that I am playing with a long distance gun. With this gun I trickle up every charge and just looking for exact charges and maybe a way (electronic) of not bending over so much. I'm pretty proud of my reloading room and have decided my current scale needs upgrading, why hell, its almost Christmas!!!

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both a 10-10 and a RCBS powder pro with the matching electronic powder dispenser. If I am going to charge a small number of rounds, I use the 10-10 (no warm up or calibration). If I am going to charge over 50, I use the Powder pro and the electric powder dispenser. The ease of use and speed make up for the time taken in warm up and calibration. On large jobs is is much easier on the back (no bending or squinting) to just push a button and the correct amount is automatically dispensed.

Just starting out, I would recommend the 10-10.

[ 10-26-2002, 04:39: Message edited by: dodgestdshift ]

Posts: 26 | Location: Marilla, NY, outside of Buffalo | Registered: 11 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too, have a couple of beam typs scales and a digital. I prefer the beam scale, particularly my 10-10 RCBS for powder weighing, but if I am working with brass or bullets, the digital is superb. As some noted, the warmup takes a little time and you have to calibrate the digital, but they definitely have their place. Recommendation - buy a 10-10, and add the digital later. Regards, Eagleye. [Big Grin]

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
The Sartorius line of balances are nice but I prefer a Meitner myself.

-

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Shark Bait:

Capitol City Skeet is a bit north of the Expo Center (Ice Bats, Rodeo, Ride for the Roses, etc.) off Decker Ln.

I hope to meet you guys at the range someday. As an aside, do either of you know where the monthly meetings are now that the Luby's is no longer available.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ultraman I Have been using a Denver Instrument accurate load IV for several years. I leave it plugged in all the time. It is kind of pricey, but it is some of the best money I have spent. After hearing all the complaints about other digital scales, my only complaint about the Denver is that I did not have one 30 years ago. There is no waiting time, you set something on the scale and when you turn it loose the scale shows the weight.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all. I have been out of town quail hunting and just reading all of the info.

Roger, Jeez that is a beautiful scale.

Sharbait, 391 is a great gas-autoloader. I do a lot of internal polishing of those and their 390,303 predecesors for others. I shoot clays most Weds out at CCTS. Come out sometime and we'll show you around. Head down Decker Ln and take a left at the RR tracks. Take first right on the road next to the clubs sign. Large white truck with PULL license plate..thats me

ARC meetings new location, don't know but Pres e-mail is president@austinrifleclub.org

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Ultraman,

Yeah the scale is pretty isn't it? For $4,450.00 it should be. It is a Sartorius analytical balance. I have been using the Meitners here at the university. I go into one of the labs after 8:00 p.m. when everyone has gone home and throw loads until my RCBS powder measure is spot on! These things'll drive you nuts if you get to watching too many digits.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Digital Pro powder scale by Pact. Nice scale not too expensive and quite accurate. I have the RCBS Digital and Like it quite about.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My beam scale, a Lyman M-5(made by Ohaus) is also gathering dust ever since I got my Dillon D-terminator(old style). It's got the choice of household current or a 9 volt battery, doesn't need warm-up, increases weight when trickling just as good as the beam, the big digital numbers are easy on the eyes and it makes weighing cases or bullets a pleasure. My vote goes for the digital, although a bit over your budget at $160.
30 odd years ago when I started handloading, single stage presses and beam scales were adequate. Now I've graduated to a progressive (RL-550) and digital scale. You couldn't pay me to go back to 1970 again! Just my opinion.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I ended up doing:

Sold my Dillon (Ohaus) beam scale for what I paid for it 15yrs ago. Weighed and recorded several items prior to selling.

Bought a new RCBS 505 (Ohaus) beam scale and a set of standards. After zeroing, matched the items I weighed previously to within < 1/10gr

I did not decide not to buy the Pact, rather just save my pennies and have both. Thanks to all for the good advice