New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sizing dies from chamber reamer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to get a die made up from the same reamer that will be used to chamber a .300 win mag barrel.

Could I send the smith 7mm rem mag die and have that reamed out then add a .30 cal button or do I need to buy a specific blank die?

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want to get a die made up from the same reamer that will be used to chamber a .300 win mag barrel

If your not going to size the case any, why do you need anything but a standard neck size die???

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EXPRESS:
I want to get a die made up from the same reamer that will be used to chamber a .300 win mag barrel.

Could I send the smith 7mm rem mag die and have that reamed out then add a .30 cal button or do I need to buy a specific blank die?

Since the whole point of sizing is to reduce the brass to some size smaller than the chamber it won't work. I have heard of people cutting sizing dies using chamber reamers though.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I see no reason why it could not be done. I believe the die will have to be annealed for cutting then rehardened afterward. As belaw points out, such a die will not reduce the case to a smaller size than the chamber, so using it to size down cases fired in a different rifle might not make them small enough to enter your chamber. But they certainly woin't excessively work cases that you fired initially in your rifle, so if those cases will go back in your gun and allow you to close the bolt, your die won't mess them up.

If you have your rifle chamber polished up a little more than the chamber in the die, it might just work slick as hell!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see no reason why it could not be done.

BUT, you still have to do something about sizeing the neck of the case to hold a bullet! And a neck sizeing die is available "now", and cheap compared to makeing a die that will need neck work anyway...

I saw BR guys trying things like this in the 70's and all ended up just buying a quality neck sizeing die in the end...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:

do a search here From what i have read, i would say NO, you can't make a FL sizing die using your chamber reamer. I know for sure, that if you neck size only, soon or later after 3 or 4 firings, the rounds will no longer chamber in most bolt rifles. If the Fl die is made short, so that the shoulder is bumped back a few thousands, maybe then, not sure. I would send 3 fired cases to Redding and have them custom fit a FL type S bushing die for your rifles.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:

i found this

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote