Find
Notify
Tools

Neck Turning Nickle Plated Brass..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey all,

Has anyone tried neck turning nickle plated brass.. If so how did it work? I am thinking that since its nickle plated you would be cutting the nickle off by turning. Is that right? I have never used nickle plated brass other then pistol brass.. If in fact you are cutting the plating off does this affect accuracy at all?

Thanks,

6.5 Bandit

one of us
posted Hide Post
i DON'T THINK it's feasable at all but maybe someone else will say they've done it. Lets just say you can't use my tools to do it.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kraky,

Thanks.. Like I said I have never tried it and the only reason I am asking is because there is a good price on 300 Weatherby mag brass in the classifieds.. But the only problem is its nickle plated and I have to neck turn..

6.5 Bandit

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I've turned it. It's a bit harder to turn but it it does turn. The cases look funny when you're done. It's really not worth the effort. I forgot why I turned it when I did. Then I went to anneal and the stink of the nickel got to me. As I result I don't use nickeled brass at all if I can avoid it.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can neck turn nickel brass. It'll look rather different when you're finished. Nickel is also rather rough on your cutters. They won't last too long. You're better off forgetting about it. Buy another batch of brass and turn that. I think you'll be happier. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys think I'll pass on this..

6.5 Bandit

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the best use I've found for nickel-plated brass:

-

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote