New
Find
Notify
Tools

Juenke machine
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been reloading most of my life. I have a number of rifles I load for and many of them exotic calibers. Most are cutom wood stocked rifles. All are professionally stocked and bedded. I use the best equipment and supplies available to me. I still get irratic performance. I like rifles to shoot under an inch and work to that goal. I match prep the brass and use a concentricity gauge and still have some inconsistancies. I think my eyes are part of the problem and had cateract surgery a year and a half ago to correct some problems. I see better but do have inconsistancies in ammo performance. Does the Juenke machine make that big a difference? Is it worth the money or do you just live with occasional fliers that open the groups to 1.5 inches? I understand that the rejection rate on bullets is fairly high which makes it quite expensive on bullet purchases.
PRO'S----CON'S---????????????

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen from the benchrest shooters the Juenke sorts out the bullets that turn .12" groups into .13" groups. IMHO, the difference in quality of bullets now days is probably one of the smallest factors in 1" groups.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
I would love to have this toy. But from what I have read in the past, this toy is pretty rare and hard to find...know of any for sale?

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
whiplash,

Vern Juenke makes the device.

THE ACCURACY DEN
Vern S. Juenke
25 Bitterbrush Rd., Reno, NV 89523; (702) 345-0225

I understand the cost is $795, but that might not be up to date...jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey IB404, Do you happen to have a regular old 308Win in a Remington amongst all the M70s?

What is the shape of the Target you shoot at?

Do you Full Length Resize, Partial-FLR, or Neck Size?

What kind of Dies do you have for the regular old 308Win?

When you do your initial Match Prep for the Cases, what is the typical Lot size?

Do you weight sort the cases?

After Trimming a case, what "Steps" do you take prior to Seating a Bullet?

Are you using MatchKings or Nosler B-Tips to Benchmark the Accuracy?

How many actual trips do you make to the Range in a typical year?

Do you Dry Fire at home and how often?

Do your scopes have Adjustable Objectives?

Do your triggers break like glass and about what weight of pull?

What is your "rested" heart rate?

Do you consume caffine or nicotine?

And last but not least:
When you are getting ready to Yank the Trigger, are you thinking about "Fjold's" bouncing lady???

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, I have no Idea what you are getting at with most of your questions. But since LB404 is one of my best freinds in this world and frequent range companion I can answer a few of them.
He does have several 308's not all of which are M-70's. His rifles are tuned to higher performance levels than 99% of what you usually see. He's spoiled by the best scopes and owns a bunch of the very best. And on a good day he can shoot with the best of us.
I hope he buys the Jeunke machine because he has high enough quality stuff that sorting bullets can make a difference......And I hope to borrow it!...... Smiler........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
......And I hope to borrow it!...... Smiler........DJ
Hey DJ, I hear you! Big Grin

Two of my good reloading buddies have Electronic Case Sorters (electric scales) and I'm always good to them right before borrowing one of them.

I knew he had some M70s since he had mentioned having one of them channel gas, from either a ruptured case or blown primer, directly into his eye before. Couldn't remember if he had any good rifles (Remingtons) or not. Wink

Can you draw his attention away long enough to sneak a Synthetic Stock onto one of the 308Win Remingtons?

Check his Powder stock for H380, the Bullet pile for 168gr Sierra MatchKings and some Federal Gold Medal 210Ms. Have him look in his Hodgdon Manual for the Starting Load for that Powder and Bullet Weight.

If we get one going for him, then there is no reason for him not to be able to get the rest of them shooting as well (once he trades the M70s for S&S M700s), if you know what I mean. HA

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Apparently my mention of a "Synthetic Stock" has run him off. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, I think that Remingtons are OK for target rifles and in some cases superior to Winchesters for that purpose. I'm firmly convinced however that Winchesters are far superior hunting rifles for a number of reasons. I own or have owned dozens of each and so at least have come by this opinion through trial and error. Maybe we can entertainingly argue about this more on another thread..............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm firmly convinced however that Winchesters are far superior hunting rifles for a number of reasons

Please explain (as a Remington owner who can't justify buying too many hunting rifles I'd like to see what those on the other side of the fence say), and which Winchesters (pre-64 vs post-64 M70's, or others) do you mean?

Cheers,
Bruce

Posts: 55 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bruce, Lots of inherent design problems associated with M70s. That goes for all of the M70s, the Pre-64s being the worst of the bunch where some even exploded with regular old factory ammo as documented so well in PO Ackley's "Handbook For Shooters & Reloaders". And the company "apparently" never issued a recall, or at least I can not find ANY reference to it. That problem had to do with "Impurities" in the steel(slag in the pour).

Current problems concern the Extremely PATHETIC Gas Handling, Extractor, Ejector, Magazine Spring, Feeding issues of all kinds, they have changed the design so the Bolt Handles now fall off(as reported by Bill Leeper), mis-aligned scope mounting holes, etc. Seems to be a never ending stream of posts on the GunSmith Board about the various "Rifleman's Rifle" problems of all sorts. You only have to look back a month or so to get a feel for it. No need to argue at all as DJ mentioned.

That said, Remington has it's share of problems too... like keeping up with the demand for their excellent firearms. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
My observation: if you have the best equipment in rifles and rests, and use appropriate size targets, the most productive money you can spend is for a wind meter and a bunch of quality wind-flags. Erratic wind will cost you half an inch in your group size, easily, and it is very difficult to judge wind at that level. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Vern Juenke machine and I have used it many times...Its for sale not because it doesn't work, it does...The electronic measurements that it makes are so very small in both brass and bullets that it hard to find brass that will pass the "Vern Juenke machine" test....Its an interesting and well make tool but I believe, and I may be wrong, that its like spliting hairs in the world of reloading......

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey IB404, I was just looking at my first response and realize an entire paragraph is missing. Not sure how that happened, but here it is:

I've heard lots of good things about the Juenke machine, but I do not have one. Using regular old "non-sorted" Speer Hot-Cor and SPBTs, when my concentration is focused, nearly all my rifles will average in the 6s. Meaning most groups are in the 4s-8s. Occasionally a smaller group which I know is just Random Group Dispersion and not something I can count on. And a few larger when my focus ebbs. Due to this, the Juenke might be an asset for someone shooting Benchrest, but it would not be cost effective for "my" use. Perhaps your group problems are created by something else.

Then the question list was supposed to begin.