THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    RL22 not listed in Nosler 6th edition for 300 Winchester Magnum

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RL22 not listed in Nosler 6th edition for 300 Winchester Magnum
 Login/Join

posted
I am reloading again after a 10 year hiatus. Looked in the Nosler online manual ed 6 and see that for 300 win mag 180 gr bullets they don't list any recipes for RL-22.

In the past I used 76 gr RL-22 behind 180 Partition with no pressure issues and excellent accuracy.

Anyone know why they don't list RL-22 anymore? I would like to load some 180 gr Accubonds and can't see a good reason why I could not use RL-22

Anyone tell me a good reason why I should not load up the accubonds with RL-22?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ben:
The Nosler hardcover edition 7 lists Rldr-22 for their 180 gr, .300 WM loads.
Page 451.
For Rldr-22 and a 180 gr. bullet, the MIN. Start charge is 71.0 gr.
MAX. charge is 75.0 gr.
I'd suggest you get the latest edition for reference. Don't take anyone's load listing as gospel.
BTW, the "Accurate Powder" listed is H-1000
with a Min. charge of 77.0 gr. and a MAX. charge of 81.0 gr.
Hope this helps some, good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Our Belgium Browning does well with 75 grains RL-22 / MRP and 180 grain Hornady's. I don't "push envelopes" and your load may be fine. Work up with new RL-22 anyway.

Only reason not to use Accubond's is if the powder won't fit under the bullet/in the case. Being a longer bullet I'd tend to use Barnes data (or SWIFT for Scirocco's, etc.) I show 75.5 grains as max for Barnes and Nosler no. 3, FWIW.

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one reason to own a bunch of loading manuals

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot 76gr of RL22 with 180gr Sierra's in a 300WM and it worked great. I keep a subscription to Loaddata.com now so I can look at several sources to figure out a reasonable mid point to start and average max load.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My Nosler manual list 75.5 as max and most accurate with the 180s.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Appreciate everyone's input.

I own a few manuals already but I guess it is time to buy the Nosler 7th edition.

Just wish I knew why they don't list RL22 on their website load data page for edition 6.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Be aware that RL-22 (spec equivalent to Norma MRP) is made by Bofors in Sweden. Like the other Bofors powders it is a very good powder, but does tend to vary a bit more than most canister powders from lot to lot. Therefore, if you're using RL-22 it is advisable (1) to purchase enough of the same lot to last for a good while, and (2) work up your load with the fact in mind that your lot of powder may vary significantly from the lot that that was used in a given manual to work up its loads.

I've gotten the best velocities and accuracy with 180 Accubonds in a .300 Win using RL-25, which is a bit slower than RL-22 (and is said to be an errant batch of RL-22, but I don't know if that is true.) But I suspect that RL-22 will come close to matching RL-25 with just a few grains less powder. Powder room with 80+ grains of RL-22 and the Accubond has not been a problem, but my .300 has a full length (3.6") magazine and it's throat allows fairly long seating at 3.54" according to my notes.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just loaded up some 300 winny this weekend with 180 hornadys and 76 grains of RL 22. 5th edition Nosler lists max of 75.5, my Hornady manual lists max of 76. Was shooting about 37" low at 500 yds, sighted just over 2" high at 100. No pressure issues, I need to get a chrono to check my speeds.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
New Nosler manual lists 75 grains as the max for RL22 with a 180 grain pill.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
While back I ran 75 grains of RL-22 across my chrony for a dismall low velocity of 2880 with the 180 AB. I thought that was pretty anemic velocity. I may have a cold lot of RL-22. That was from a 700 rem with a rather long throat loaded to 3.600. .o15 off the lands. I guess I,m not impressed with RL-22 at this point.

Posts: 23 | Location: Western Wa. | Registered: 20 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be looking to Retumbo or RL25 for that combo.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot the 300 Winny since 1973, using every powder ever suggested. Used IMR-7828 for some years with no real gripes. I then discovered RL-22 and my group size went to three shots touching each other when I do my part. My primer is Fed 210M, if I use the Magnum primer I blow my group to an inch. I have shot several different rifles but mainly a post 64 Winchester Model 70, or two different Browning BAR's. My load is 76 grains of RL-22 and either the 180 grain Nosler Partition, Accubond or Northfork. All three are equally accurate with the Northfork normally the fastest. My speeds and those of 8 Elk hunting buddies are from 3000 to 3120 fps, depending on the barrel. All my buddies shoot Model 70 Winchesters with the Boss barrel. We all shoot over my Oehler 35-P, therefore the instrument for measuring speed is all the same. We have hunted from 20 below zero up to 95 degrees and have never had a problem. Many years of hunting Elk and with this group probably well over 150 kills with this combo. Just stating our experience with RL-22 and the 300 Winny. I have also hunted with several larger bores over the years, the 300 Winny being our group standard. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. The difference from rifle to rifle and between batches of powder can be extreme in the matter of velocity it seems. With that in mind, anybody have a chrony that they don't use anymore because they upgraded they want to sell to a budget challenged shooter? Smiler

I have a velocity question: I'm shooting a 180 gr 76 gr RL 22 load. It gets decent accuracy at 100 yds, sighted about 2.75" high, hitting about 7" low at 300 yds, but only about 36" low at 500. The 100 and 500 ballistic numbers jive, but not the 300. It seems like it should be printing about -2 or 3 at that range. I'm guessing velocity should be around 3000 based on the 500 yd numbers and what I read in the ballistic charts.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote