New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee classic die for a BLR
 Login/Join

Picture of animal
posted
I just ordered a .308 BLR. I have a Lee classic handload kit which I used for the bolt action I just sold. Do ya think I'll be able to reload for the blr with the classic or will I need to get a die set for my press. It seems the classic would work for ammo fire formed in the blr. AmI missing something here.

Thanks

Be true to yourself

Posts: 20 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I am wrong but "MOST" automatics and lever guns the shells "SHOULD" be full length resized not fire formed. Bolt actions and single shot rifles you can use fire formed shells. They need to be fire formed for that particular firearm. If you fire form the shells for the lever action you "MAY" have problems with them not wanting to cycle from the tube into action of the firearm.

I have several Lee dies but am not sure what the classics look like. Are they the type you have to drive the shell in with a mallet to resize them? If so be careful banging the primers in I have had several go off while reloading for a 38 special. A lee auto prime will solve this problem with the primers.

If you want to use a press Lee makes several good die sets. Some reloaders like the collet dies I have a set for 30-06.

Good luck with your new BLR.

BTW I am not trying to shout using caps, only trying to emphasize the word.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of animal
posted Hide Post
Swede44mag,
Thanks for the response. Yes the classic is the one that ya use the mallet. The BLR is a magazine fed lever action with a lever operated bolt. I'm hoping that the extractor is strong enough to stay with the Lee classic. The worst case scenero is I spend 25 bucks on a regular set of dies.

Be true to yourself

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I think you have it figured out, just use what you have. If it doesn't work you'll figure it out quick enough. My only advice is to not load up a bunch before you are sure they'll work.

The reason I say that is one time I got a new seater die and loaded up about 50 rounds before I tried any more than the first one in my gun. Turned out about 2/3rds of them would distort enough to prevent the bolt from closing, so I had to spend an hour or two pulling bullets, dumping powder, running the case into the sizer die that I had removed the decapper from, then putting the powder back in and re-seating the bullets with the original seater die I had.....

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a BLR and have been able to neck size brass for it and it runs through my gun just fine. Maybe I'm lucky and got a chamber that was cut just right for the job. You will probably want to upgrade from those dies soon anyhow if you really get into reloading.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of animal
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kraky,

Good point regarding not loading up too many shells. I'll experiment first.

Be true to yourself