New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wow--"WIPEOUT" IS IMPRESSIVE!!
 Login/Join

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
So many have been talking about the new barrel cleaner called "wipeout" that I had to try it.
On one gun it took about 3 applications. The next gun appeared to be more fouled than the first but, 1 application cleaned it spotless.
Wow this is neat stuff!!
Unless someone reports a corrosion problem I will probably never use another cleaner!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have experienced the same results. According to Paul Co. it is not corrosive and can be left in the barrel overnight with no problems. Now I need to figure out what to do with my:

Sweets 7.62
Shooters Choice
Hoppes #9
Outers Foul Out
Kroil
Bore Brushes
etc.
etc.

[ 06-07-2002, 22:09: Message edited by: Shark Bait ]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...I'm going to try one of those too.

Where can I get one of those "WIPEOUT"s? Are they in aerosol cans?

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must admit, too, that I was at first a skeptic.....but am now a convert. The stuff is AWESOME. I cleaned my Contender barrels last weekend..I'd been shooting some hot rounds. Usually I do a little scrubbing for copper...but with with this stuff..put it in, wait 10 mins.....patch it out. No worries...and no copper! I'm sold. Gary.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.paulcousa.com/wipeout.htm

quote:
Originally posted by Pyrotek:
Hmmm...I'm going to try one of those too.

Where can I get one of those "WIPEOUT"s? Are they in aerosol cans?

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I was interested in getting this stuff, but it's apparently nasty on Tru-Oil finishes. Just how are you guys getting it into the bore without screwing up the outside of your rifle? Just more careful than usual, or what??

Thanks.

Russ

[ 06-08-2002, 03:05: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
It comes with a nipple in the middle of a "cone" and you push it up against the end of the barrel and give it a little push on the button. Virtually as if you were putting shaving cream in your barrel. Just a short little blast fills a barrel and "yes" a little will come back out and get on the outside 1/2" of the barrel--just wipe it off with a oily cloth. To keep it from getting in the action I use a bore guide with o-ring on my bolts and on the autos I stuff a big cotton ball swab in the chamber. On the auto's I run a bore snake back out with a patch wrapped around the wire brush part. Now I just filled up my 45-70 marlin and have to figure out how to reverse the procedure as I don't have a boresnake.
Just thought I'd check this chatroom will it was working for me!! WOW--I enjoy cleaning--yippe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, it changes everything. Boy, I never even thought about cleaning guns while at the range. Do it routinely now.

It hasn't damaged the finish on any of my guns, but perhaps I have different types of finish. I do make a little effort to keep it off the finish though.

The stuff _is_ messy however. Read the other threads for about ten different on ideas on how to apply it with less trouble. I like (but have not yet tried) the foam earplug with hole idea. Regardless of how messy it is though, it beats every alternative by a mile.

Pertinax

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, great stuff! I hope to never be without it again.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay.

I have read through "countless" previous posts in other threads on this product. Hundreds... "thousands?"... of you have praised it over and over and OVER AND OVER!!!

I just want to tell you all one thing.

"'Soylent Green' is PEOPLE!!!"

Anyway... I'm ordering some of the stuff next week.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like whoever invented this product should get an award from the entire shooting sports group. IMHO

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sounds great
But who makes it and whoe sells it??

griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<GoWyo!>
posted
Howdy all, I've tried this and Forest bore foam, they both work well, but IMHO not perfect on heavily copper fouled barrels. On another note, I saw on Benchrest Central that Lothar Walther is warning against mixing kroil and ammonia based cleaning products- their claim is that it either "etches or leaves a white residue" that may be harmful to Stainless steel Bbls. The bench rest crowd has been doing this for years....so have I for that matter. FWIW, Gary

<centerpunch>
posted

[ 06-15-2002, 03:45: Message edited by: centerpunch ]

<Patrick_D>
posted
Griff,

Have a look here: www.paulcousa.com/wipeout.htm

I have never seen it in the UK, but if you find that there is a UK distributor I'd be interested to know.

Patrick

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don K.

I faced a similar issue with my Win. 1895 as you did with your 45-70. I eventually just dropped a next-caliber-smaller bullet down the barrel a couple of times to push out as much gunk out the muzzle as possible, then stuffed a couple of patches in the chamber and ran a patch from the muzzle.

Kind of sloppy, but it works until I make a pull through cleaner.

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not so fast lads! Before everyone rushes out and gets a case of this stuff, let me tell you I ruined the hell out of a nice Ruger rifle with it.
I filled the barrel with foam as per instructions and thought all was fine. Let it sit overnight as this was the first use in a rather dirty bore.
What I discovered in the morning was the foam had turned to liquid and seeped down onto the stock.
Totally ruined a nice 3" square area.

I went back and re-read all the warnings and stuff with this product and concluded Wipe-out is not NEARLY so innocent as many think.

Yes it will clean a copper fouled barrel good. But it will also "clean your stock good...and it will eat any brass or aluminum parts it might contact. Don't be fooled by the "all natural ingredients" statement on the can. Arsenic and sulphuric acid are "natural ingredients" too. Not that I'm saying this is in Wipe Out, but I am saying there may well be some chemicals in the stuff that in the long run do plenty of harm.
USER BEWARE [Eek!]

My advise for anyone who wants to use this is they had better be mighty careful or, like me, they may wish they'd never seen it before. I can see it getting into trigger assemblies and such and who knows what all the parts in there are.

Frankly, I'm going to pitch mine in the trash and go back to Hoppe's #9 like God intended shooters to use. [Big Grin]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Pecos - Thanks for the information. Like any new product, it is better to let other folks find the problems. To take a lesson from history, it was always the pioneers who were getting shot in the ass with arrows. I am cautiously optimistic about the stuff but I am not ready to give up my Sweets.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos;

I just ordered two cans last week and would like a little more information on where the stock got ruined and how you had the rifle oriented. What do you mean by ruined? Did it eat the wood or remove the finish, cause the wood to swell, what?

I've been watching the posts about Wipe out for several weeks and there hasn't been very many negative replies other than being a bit messy. Lots of ways to get it down the bore and if you use too much it will come out.

I talked to Paul by phone for about 2 hours before I ordered it and he gave me quite a lot of other valuable information on powders and reloading and gave very meticulous instructions about how to use the product. We also discussed several ways of dispensing the product I had real on this site to help solve the injection problems. The hole in the ear plug stuffed down the chamber looked the easiest to me along with using an o-ring chamber guide.

I would also like to know how you will fix the ruined area or if it is un-repairable.

Thanks

Makatak

<333-OKH>
posted
Like Pecos 45 I have had Wipeout take the finish off a stock. Wipeout cleans well and a straw does help in getting it deep in the barrel but I will stick with Sweets and the stink of ammonia. I don't relish refinishing a stock just because I got a little careless.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos45 has been very sloppy with his Wipe-Out.

I would rather take the gun out of the stock before cleaning if I couldn't do any better than that!

A momentary contact with the stock finish will do nothing: Wipe off the Wipe-Out NOW. You would have to leave it puddling for a long time to hurt the wood or finish.

It is really easy to use with a liitle care, like keeping the muzzle point downward while letting the foam work in the bore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do like the stuff, if for no other reason than that I can basically clean all of my rifles at once. It's too freaking hot and humid in Houston to stand in my garage for hours in the afternoon running cleaning rods up and down a bunch of barrels!!

I do run a patch of Kroil or something to take out powder fouling before foaming the barrels. It seems to speed things up just a bit.

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Phil R>
posted
I've been using Wipe out for a while now and am sold! It works great...keep the barrel pointed down a bit while the Wipe Out works and plug the chamber with a cleaning swab with a few patches to make a tight fit. The trick seems to be to plug the chamber properly and don't keep your finger on the button...a short burst fills the barrel quickly.

<bigcountry>
posted
In Wipe Outs defense, if you call the number and order a can, the guy I talked to warned to follow the directions and put the gun where its not perfectly horzontial with a little lean on it so it won't seep into you action. I also, block the barrel with a rod and few patchs so that can't happen.

posted Hide Post
I have used wipeout now for over two years. The best way to apply it is with a straw or other thin plastic tube attached. I use a small rubber o ring on a plastic tube from a water bottle. With this attached spray directly into the barrel from the action, this eliminates any problems with the product coming into contact with the stock or magazine area. As you back the tube out just enough will back out to clean the chamber.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 21 | Location: Las Vegas NV | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaggaRon:
Pecos45 has been very sloppy with his Wipe-Out.

No, actually Dagga, I have NOT been sloppy with the product at all and yes, I am smart enough to wipe any overspray or drips immediately off the stock. But thank you for you vote of "No Confidence" anyway. [Mad]

The product encourages the user to spray the barrel full and leave over-night and let the rifle sit. I did exactly that and took pains to even make the rifle LEVEL as the product recommends. Everything was cool when I left the rifle in my garage and went to bed. What I found when I got up in the morning was the foam had eventually turned to a LIQUID and seeped out of my action and and onto the stock near the rear of the action. If not putting a carpenter's level on my rifle prior to going to bed makes me careless, then I guess I'm guilty as charged.

Someone asked what damage it did. It ate the finish totally off the rifle over about a 2" square area and left the wood discolored and somewhat "soft." I have not yet refinished it. Makes me want to puke everytime I look at it.

My points are as follows, gentlemen.
1. This product WILL clean the hell out of a barrel.
2. What else it may do to your barrel I don't know. There are different type barrels out there. Stainless, Chromed, chrome molly. etc What is safe in one may be corrosive as hell in the other. I don't know. I'm not a chemist. If you want to find out what it will do to your rifle barrel........order a case of it.
3. The notion one can will clean 100 rifles is BS. I think 30 rifles is closer to the mark and this makes the product even more expensive than it already is.
4. This product, by its own admission, will eat more than stock finishes. It also attacks brass and aluminum.....metals that are used in various parts of some rifles. For example, I believe the ejector in Marlin .22 rifles is brass.
5. I think Wipe-Out is like some new medications, i.e. we don't know what the hell the long range effects of this product are. If you want to be the test case and use your rifles as a lab rat, go for it.
6. PROBABLY the product is pretty safe for most barrels.........but...
If you are going to use it, my advise is to take your barrel and action OUT of your stock and get your stock completely away from the stuff. Then turn the barreled action UPSIDE DOWN so nothing can run DOWN into your trigger mechanism. Take the bolt out of the rifle if possible. Get the rifle level. Then use the product. Of course don't use it over the kitchen table etc or you will ruin the finish on that as well and your wife will kick your ass. [Eek!]

Any of you wipe-out guys that want to pitch all your old cleaning supplies in the trash and go strictly with wipe-out, please contact me and I'll give you my address where you can just mail your old products to me. Cause I am NOT SOLD on wipe out and am going to stick with the tried and true. Yes, I probably am just an old fart and stuck in my ways. [Big Grin]
You been warned. [Smile]

[ 06-16-2002, 02:22: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got my two cans of Wipe-out on Monday and read the instructions at least 3 times while I was setting up two old barrels for the test. I ended up cleaning 3 additional rifles at the same time after I got familiar with the process. I used a piece of 1/4" surgical tubing and two different bore guides before getting a lock on it.

The instructions stated and was underlined quote "WIPE-OUT is not safe for varnish, shellac, or old oil type finishes. It will remove them".

The next line read " It will dissolve brass, bronze, aluminum and copper".

Those statements alone would tell me to take the rifle out of ANY KIND of wood stock, just to be safe, to tilt the muzzle down a little to keep the stuff out of the action just like I do with ANY GUN CLEANING PRODUCT and to make sure any parts made of those metals were covered or removed or wiped off if they contacted the Wipe-out. You can't blame the product if you don't do what is necessary to protect your rifle. The smelly stuff will also mess with those metals and a wood stock if you get careless.

THE PROCESS:

I unscrewed the two old barrels, a 22-243 and 6mm-284, from the receivers and used a 30 cal Sinclair o-ring bore guide and the cone turned small side out and it worked great, simple, easy, no sweat.

I removed the barrel on a NEF 223 single shot, then unscrewed the tapered end off a Stoney 25-30 cal bore guide which fit into the chamber firmly. A 2" piece of surgical tubing pushed into the tapered end fit snuggly and sealed it tight. A 223 o-ring type bore guide would work very well also and I have one on order now.

A T/C Encore was a pain in the ass due to the scope overhang and the stock hanging down. I tried a Sinclair T/C bore guide but got a bunch of ooze out around the guide edge so I ended up using a 30 cal o-ring bore guide and it worked great again. No extra 'white worms" or foam beard.

My 17 Rem was another pain in the ass until I got smarter than the foam. I ended up using the 25-20 Stoney bore guide with the solvent port removed but an o-ring bore guide I have ordered will work better. And, I can't get my finger off the trigger fast enough with the 17 size bore. You have to hold the tubing in the guide until all the pressure is gone otherwise you get a blowout to the rear when you pull the tubing out. 30 to 45 seconds is needed until the pressure is released.

Did it work? Does a bear shit in the woods? Does a pig make bacon? Is my ex-wife AN UGLY HO? The 17 is on it's 3rd overnighter and it is still giving out with the blue patch, but a lot quicker and easier that using the smelly stuff THAT DIDN'T REALLY WORK IN THE FIRST PLACE. The 6mm-284 took two overnighters and I just got back from the range and it's shooting groups instead of patterns, not bugholes but .750's. The 22-243 is on it's 3 overnighter and is giving up PURPLE patches still. This one is going to take a while. The 22-250 Encore took one overnighter and two 3 hour sessions.

All these rifles have had the smelly stuff, JB compound, Isso or USP bore paste used after every 50 rounds or so and/or after every range session until the patches stopped coming out blue. Even during the winter the barrels were processed usually once every two months or so, just to get the last of the outgassing removed and I would have bet you a night on the town and your pick at the Chicken Ranch, that those barrels were clean except for the tiger stripes.

I've used CR-10, Sweets, ProShot Copper Solvent IV, Butches Bore Shine and every professed copper removal product that has come on the market for the past 40 years. I will still use them until they are gone but WIPE-OUT will be the final cleaner. It can be a bit messy until you figure out which method works best with your rifles and get the timing down for the barrel length and you have get a little "creative" with some types of weapons. It won't do 100 firearms per can I don't think because of the waste you can't help but get but I'm working on ways to get as close as I can.

I recommend it highly for what is't worth. Think what happens when your shaving cream gets away from you and that is just what happens with WIPE-OUT. It expands and goes the path of least resistance and where Murphy's Law dictates.

Makatak

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gungadin99:
Is my ex-wife AN UGLY HO?

From an observer's perspective, do you mean before or after drinking heavily?

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know, either way I suspect, I don't drink and haven't seen the UGLY HO in over twenty years. YOU chase her down and decide, never know, you might just like UGLY HO's, sober or stoned. Perspective is in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? I think Plato was right. Does time change perspective? My perspective changed. What is perspective? What is an observer? Does an observer have perspective actually or is it just in their mind? Is an observer anything at all or just a HO with perspective? What is a HO? If you don't take money does that make you a cheap observer with perspective or an out of work HO or a wife without a pimp? What part of HO concerns you? Why would you pick up on HO and not anything else? Why do you have to cut and paste? What a concept, "Due Process", I think we need more "Due Process" but with GIGAton yield MIRVs.

Makatak

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used the stuff, but I'm going to in spite of the warnings posted above. Some simple solutions I have used in the past. Store the rifle upside down in the cradle. I use a bent piece of tin to cover the scope and keep the drippings off. I also use a chamber plug. That works.

I noticed nobody mentioned the Barnes bore cleaner. I've used it for some time. It works very well.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rogerk,
I also am a fan of the Barnes solution...I figure as bad as their bullets foul then they oughta be experts at getting it out...It works very well indeed...May be the best of all.

I use the Wipe out and it works well...but I would never leave anything but Hoppes in my barrels overnight...

15 minutes max for Wipe Out or Barnes juice.

All should keep in mind that squeeky clean is not diserable, you don't have to get every stinking bit of the fouling out, least you wouldn't need fouling shots and you would have to clean the gun between each shot. guns shoot better with a bit of crud...

I would never clean a gun on a hunting trip short of an event requiring it....I sight in and that gun does not get more than a bore snake pass for the hunting season. Within reason, if I shoot one 50 times I will give it a quick clean.

end of hunting season, all get cleaned squeeky clean and oiled.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto Gungadin99, 'cept fo tha ho stuff, ah dunno. [Smile]

Pecos45,
Yep, yo dun been sloppy. [Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gungadin99:
If you don't take money does that make you a cheap observer with perspective or an out of work HO or a wife without a pimp?

Absolutely, positively, the funniest thing I've read in a long time!

To address one of your other questions, I "picked up" on the "HO" part because the rest of your post wasn't ambiguous... just the part about the garden implement.

Great post.

On a "brighter" note (pun intended), I got MY delivery of Wipe-Out today... so I'll be cleaning some rifles very soon... just as soon as someone tells me where to buy surgical tubing? I suspect I don't just walk into the emergency room and ask for a few feet of the stuff.

Russ

<roybaddy>
posted
Hey Russ-
You can use a soda straw of the right diameter. I'm confounded by some odd comments. What part of "Ol Pecos stock was damaged ? Might give a clue as to what the attitude was. Pre-Martini or Post-Martini ? Try putting Shooters Choice on your stocks----or the venerable "Sweets" or CR-10. Ever see the panties the bench-rest guys use to cover their stocks ?? Just for my own information....I put some Wipe-Out on the forend inside the barrel channel where it wouldn't hurt...on a Model-70, a Ruger Laminated Varmint and a Remington 660, and left it for overnight. Guess What......I couldn't duplicate any degradation of finish ? Hmmmm?? I also put some Wipe-Out on a piece of aluminum foil and a piece of old 223 brass. Try it yourself.
As for me I have used this stuff for a year now. AND I LOVE IT !