New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass Cleaning using Ultrasonic Cleaner
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Iv recently read an article on 6mmbr.com where a gentleman cleaned his brass using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean his brass using a vinegar and water solution. I tumble my brass and have good results on the outsides of the cases being clean but how are ya'll getting the insides clean?

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never tried the vinegar/water solution but one item I did find that works well for me is Kafko Oil Eater diluted to about six ounces per gallon (Costco used to sell gallons of it, not sure if they still do). I run the cases about 25-30 minutes with the solution at about 120 degrees Fahrenheit. My nose and the MSDS say the stuff is non-ammoniated which is good for this application. They don't come out glaringly shiny but they are quite clean.

I also found that depriming the cases prior to ultrasonic cleaning helps.

EDIT: I assumed ultrasonic cleaning was already being done in addition to- or instead of- tumbling. Note to self: read thoroughly.

Posts: 39 | Location: Lynden, Washington | Registered: 27 December 2009Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Brennan,

tumbling should clean the inside too. If it isn't then I'd suggest trying walnut media if you want shiny insides but I suspect if the outsides are clean the inside will be clean enough to not make a difference.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I notice a HUGE difference on the inside of cases and in the primer pockets when cleaning ultrasonically vs tumbling with ANY kind of media. I have used a 'tumbler' (like the RCBS sidewinder) with liquid.

Having said that, I don't see any difference on the target face with the different methods, and the tumbler gets my brass more polished on the outside, in fact, I only ultrasonically clean for a few cartridges, and then I tumble them to polish the outside more!!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote