New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leverevolution in .308 Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had some interesting results from a trial yesterday which I thought I would share. CA is going to require lead free hunting bullets so I wanted to try the 130gr Barns TSX in my .308 Win, a Model 88 Winchester, 22 inch barrel. I usually load varget in the .308, but I was almost out of it with none to be had that I could find.I did have Leverevolution, but couldn't find any data for the .308Win. Loaded five rounds at 50grs in RP brass with a Win Large Rifle primer to 2.810 OAL. Finished with a Lee Factory Crimp die per Barns reccomendations. Results were easy extraction, a pretty flat primer, and 2943 fps average velocity. The interesting part, ES was 6 fps, with a SD of 2! The only single didgit SD I ever had in any .30 cal before were in 7.5x55 Swiss. I have tested lots of .308 Win befor, used it for NRA Conventioal Highpower and NRA Silhouette for years. Never got below 20 SD before.

Posts: 126 | Location: nothern ca | Registered: 29 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several pounds of that stuff and have yet to use it..I'll give that a try for sure in my Savage 99F..but start at 48 grs. and with WW cases for a little less pressure in the lever action..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Atkinson, please share your results, either here or by a PM. I am very interested in seeing if this powder has a tendency toward uniform verocitys or if my experiency was a fluke.

Posts: 126 | Location: nothern ca | Registered: 29 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
L.Rivard,
Been doing some checking and it apparently give more velocity and less pressure than most any other powder according to the Hodgdon 2013 MANUEL...I will pass on how it shoots in my Savage 99, and it looks like I can get 2900 FPS in a 99 with a 150 gr. bullet. That is easy in a bolt gun but a 99 is springy and with most book max loads its intelligent to cut back two grs from book max. This seems to be the exception. I base that on the lack of pressure and Hodgdon shows the PSI and the CUP on all their loads.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote