Find
Notify
Tools

Best Scribes* gun related
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
stir Reading threads on Rick Jameison started a memory function of past writters in the gun world.I asked myself-

• Who did I enjoy the most?

• Who was the most informative?

• Who made realy significant contributions?

Try answering these or whatever other gun writter catagory you want to contribute. It isn't intended to be restricted to magazines only; other publications count. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    My favorites are Jim Carmichel and the late Finn Aagard and I like John Taffin for handguns. All are very knowledgeable and are really good writers. A lot of the newer guys, esp in American Rifleman, don't do much for me. Some of them seem like they just started shooting about the time they got the job writing for the gun rag. I used to like to read Charlie Askins even though I thought he was full of it a lot of the time.

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Who do I enjoy the most- Jim Shockey- very entertaining and down to earth

the least
    -Boddington-a little too holier than thou
    -Barsness-same thing

The most informative-Jim Carmichael- one of the few writers with actual knowledge on the topic

the least
    Jamieson-badly skewed attempts at pretending to understand ballistics

Contributions Layne Simpson-for his work on the stw,sta

the least-Boddington-jumps on every new product bandwagon.

-Jamieson-for his misinterpretive and badly skewed attempts at ballistics knowledge.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Bob Milek
    Skeeter Skelton
    Jim Carmichael

in decending order.......the rest are just fluff.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I too found Bob Milek to be both informative and sensible.

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
    -----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Present tense, I've learned more from Ross Seyfried than all the rest put together. Barsness in second place. The occasional Denton Bramwell article. That's about it.

Past tense, Skeeter Skelton, Finn Aagard.

Books, Dr. Mann and Harold Vaughn. Actually, I detest Vaughn's personality and style and disagree with many of his conclusions yet still give him high marks -- 'cuz he made me think. We need more Manns and Vaughns.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Boy, this really dates one.

Jack O'Connor was a must read when I was a kid.

I really enjoyed George Nonte. He really knew his stuff when it came to reloading. When he wrote for Handloader, it was the magazine on reloading. I was just starting, and learned much from his articles and his book. Ken Waters is another writer whose work I also enjoyed and found informative.

Bill Jordan was fun to read, and his lessons on where your head needs to be in a gun fight were to the point.

Finn Aagard was a jewel, and quite a man. His book is dog-eared and bookmarked from my repeated references to it.

The current crop of gun writers are not too good. I have seen somethings in Handloader and the other pubs that just make you wonder: seven shot Garands, bragging on a custom 30-338 that shot 1.5" groups @ 100yds, etc.

Maybe Peterson's sale of these magazines will result in different stories being written, rather than the same one being re-published several times in different mags; and some new blood in them.

The topics, opinions and "articles" here are much more informative and helpful, and mostly we aren't trying to sell anything. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I like reading Bryce Towsley's articles on firearms, as his opinions seem to be formed from actual investigation rather than just repeating some mantra that the manufacturer conjured up. Some of his opinions seem to run against the grain of popular opinion, but he gives reference to why he comes to his end conclusion.

Dennis
    Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Gustavo
    posted Hide Post
    My choices for best :

1) Bob Milek
    2) Craig Boddington (some times)
    3) Finn Aagard
    4) John Barsness

My choice for worst :

1) David Fortier (good for transcribing catalogs...and a warrior wanna-be...laughable at least)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
    http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    My choice for worst :

1) David Fortier (good for transcribing catalogs...and a warrior wanna-be...laughable at least)

I couldn't agree more.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    I'd say my favorites, not in any order:

Bob Milek
    John Wooters
    Masaad Ayoob
    Bill Jordan
    Finn Aagard

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    roger thumbAs a young adult Elmer Keith, with Bob Hutton as a close second for most enjoyable.Ray Atkinson fits in there some place.

Most informative would go to Warren Paige, Bob Milek and Ross Seyfried.

Significant contributers would be again Warren Paige ,Fred Hunttington, Frank Barnes and Vern Speer for his early loading manuals. mona roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Elmer Keith, Col. Charles Askins, Finn Aagard,Jeff Cooper, Skeeter Skelton, and Bill Jordan.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Gidday Guys,

I reckon these are all about equal:

Nick Harvey
    Finn Aagard
    Bob Milek
    Peter Hathaway-Capstick
    Elmer Keith

Some for the information they impart, Some for the dreams they engendered and all for the entertainment they gave.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    BOb Milek beer Varmintshooting
    Ross Seyfried beerDoublerifles..english guns
    Elmer Keith beer Cowboys & Indians yeehaa...
    Jim Carmichel beer Technicalstuff
    Finn Aagard beer Mythkiller.just facts...

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of mr rigby
    posted Hide Post
    Craig Boddington

Finn Aagard

Tom Turpin ( very pretty rifles)

Terry Wieland

Ross Seyfried

Jack O`Connor

Elmer Keith

John Taffin

Peter H Capstick

These are on my 1 place ,

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Ken Waters and his pet loads have been a favorite for years. Bob Milek was another, and who could forget P.B. Sharpe. Of the modern ilk, Carmichael is about the only one I can read to the last page.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    skeeter skelton, dean grennell, elmer keith, ken waters, bob milek, ross seyfried, finn aagard; for ability to write and information and entertainment.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    #1 is; Townsend Whelen!
    Very good are; Jack O'Connor, Julian Hatcher, Elmer Keith, Jim Carmichael, Ross Seyfried, Finn Aagard, Franklin Mann.
    I have learned more from reading Townsend Whelen's books than the rest combined.
    Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Tough call...
    Greener
    Hatcher
    Whelen
    Taylor
    O'Connor
    Keith
    Nonte
    Cooper
    Ayoob
    Aagard
    Taffin
    Fadala
    Simpson
    Seyfried
    Boddington
    Barsness
    Robertson
    Woods
    ...how's a fella to choose?

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Easy:
    Warren Page
    Finn Aagard
    Bob Milek

Hmmm, don't have any living favorites, all seem to be peddling the latest and greatest. Does make for interesting reading though!

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Pat McManus Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Scout Master 54
    posted Hide Post
    Jack O'Connor - I wanted a .270 and to go sheep hunting before I had a drivers lics.

Skeeter Skelton - I felt the need to owne a .44 Spl. and live on the border. If you have not read the Me & Joe stories you are missing some thing in your life.

Bob Milek - I felt I could trust the man.

Pat McManus - I am certain I did most of what he wrote about as a kid (or adult for that matter) POOF - NO EYE BROWS

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Most informative: P.O. Ackley- Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders Vols I and II.

Enjoyed- Col Charles Askins- What a S.O.B. he is!!

Guess these two kind of date me huh?

Ron

Posts: 67 | Location: The Pelican State | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
    posted Hide Post
    What, no John Amber? The custom gun makers and knife makers owe him a heap. How about Major Charles Askins? Althoughlong dated Burrar's shotgun books were a good read. killpc

posted Hide Post
    Whoops, damned arthritis, make that Burrard.

homer

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Not in any particular order.
    Mike Venturino
    Ken Waters
    P.O Ackley
    Bob Milek

Posts: 95 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    I like accurate, somewhat technical evaluations, and John Barsness is the only gunwriter I trust to have tested and thought through any issues about firearms in which I have any interest.

There have been writers whose writing I have enjoyed who invented facts or hunts (Jeff Cooper, Russell Anabel, etc), or who were very knowledgeable, but whose writing style I could not read (Elmer Keith, for instance), or were good writers about topics in which I have no interest (Ross Seyfried, for instance).

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Jim White
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by rwsem:
    Most informative: P.O. Ackley- Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders Vols I and II.

Ron

thumbHands down the most informative reading I've ever done on the subjects presented.

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Strut10
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scout Master 54:

Pat McManus - I am certain I did most of what he wrote about as a kid (or adult for that matter) POOF - NO EYE BROWS

LMFAO @ GSP7 and Scout Master 54. clap
    Only laughing because it goes at least double for my childhood.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote