New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 45-70 brass not square.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had just a hard time getting my bullets to load straight in my 45-70. So I decided to trim.

Almost 80% of the new winchester brass mouths was not square by .01" or more in some cases. No wonder I had runout issues in my 45-70.

Whats the deal these days with brass? So I took a look at Remington brass Once fired that was originally factory loads, and they are square. This makes me believe even more that reloaders get seconds.

One thing, I bought this attachment from sinclair to put your deburr tool in a drill chuck. Wow, reloaders owe it to themselves to get one. Takes the pain out of deburring. Just be careful and hold the brass tight or you might sling it across the room.

I was prepping 100 pieces of STW winchester brass last night. 4 pieces were unusuable and dangerous. They had splits in teh neck/shoulder area but not to the top of the neck. So it was subtle. Other had these indents that wasnt' dents but looked like stamp marks in the shoulders from machining? Who knows. Might be my last batch of winchester brass.

I want my case mouths square on my 45-70 since I crimp. Wonder if its bad to go much more deeper than recommended trim to length. I never minded going .01" deeper but some of these, I need to go .02" to get them square.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever called winchester to complain about brass? did they try to help?

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bigcountry,

Good to see you're still around. You and I must lurk on different forums.

Winchester is virtually bankrupt, so complaining will probably do no good.

Been on any good hunts lately?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's perfectly common for both Remington and Winchester. In fact, I've culled 15 to 20 (or more) cases (per hundred) in a number of batches of 6.5x55 brass. That's why I now use Lapua. It may cost a little more, but there are no culls, and there's absolutely minimal prepping necesary -- they're basically ready as they come out of the box. The same can't be said of Remchester.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I bought some Winchester 243 brass a while ago, 250 cases, and found about 15-20 screwed up cases so I called them and complained. They sent me a couple redeemable at the nearest store for 100 new cases. I would call and complain first and ask for replacements before they close their doors.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GA, is that you man? My newfie buddy? Haven't seen hide or hair from ya in quite some time. Every make it back to Newfoundland?

I don't know why I complain all the time about brass. Every year, I order new brass for something or another and then go thru this rant and rave. I used to complain about remington but they are better than this. It may be dinged up, but it doens't have split necks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's me. Since Newfoundland, I've been to Africa twice, Colorado three times and Scotland once. With the exception of Scotland, the whole kit and kaboodle added together does not equal the torture I endured in Newfoundland. Scotland on its own was pretty close.

You been back anywhere fun?

one of us
posted Hide Post
you should order some bulk 416 rem mag brass.I had a box of 500 that had 135 bent neck necks that couldnt be used.I bet out of the 8000 pcs I bought there were 500 cases that were trashed.I loaded a bunch one day and they were so soft out of that batch that I sent them back.I have less problems with winchester brass than Remington brass.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Norma brass is the best brass I have ever used.I think the 416 Weatherby brass I necked to 338-378 Weatherby is the strongest brass I have ever used.I have reloaded some of it 17 times.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
You guys are aware that it is USRAC that is going out of business and not OLIN, right??

USRAC pays royalties to OLIN to use the name "Winchester" on their rifles. OLIN (who makes or contracts) the ammo and components isn't going out of business, just USRAC. (that I know of anyway)

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GA, just been pig hunting down south. Scheduled a WT hunt in Alberta next year. I keep thinking I want to go back to Newfoundland, but the last time it about killed me. I talked to several guys who go to BC in canada Moose and they all bring back 55" every year. Biggest I saw in Newfoundland was like 45".

I go to the UK all the time for work. Got invited to go deer hunting in England. Well see. I go back the Enland next month.

Anyway good to hear from ya.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if Norma makes 45-70 brass. I might look into the other makers.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Bigcountry - If your dissatisfied with REM/WIN brass, try Starline. I believe they are the equal, if not superior to the "Big 3" ammo makers. Usually, I find Winchester brass to be good. The case mouths do come a bit out of round and dented but, I never lost one if I re-sized it first and then used a tapered plug to get the dents out that remain.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GAHUNTER:

Winchester is virtually bankrupt, so complaining will probably do no good.

The Winchester AMMUNITION company is in fine shape financially. Nowhere near bankrupt. Stock has doubled in price, split 2-for-1, and doubled again. Is an entirely different company (Olin) than Winchester rifles (U.S. Repeating Arms Company). Olin is a major primary supplier of sheet brass to many U.S. industries, and to other companies within the gun industry (like Hornady).

I suspect if the general American market was willing to pay Norma prices for brass, Winchester-Olin would be more than willing to trim it more accurately.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yep, going to look at starline. Everybody seems to rave over them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected. I did not realize that Olin retained the ammo and component end of the business. I thought US Repeating Arms owned the lot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey GA sent ya a PM. If you got time holler back