Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 ultramag newbie ?
 Login/Join

posted
Have a silly newbie question on reloading the .300 ultramag. I was told you couldn't reload this using the old style rockchucker press, that the new supreme press was needed. Is this true? My nephew wants to try his hand at reloading and can get a good deal on a used rockchucker. Thanks in advance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a older rockchucker. Its nice having the sepreme. That way you can place bullets real straight with the brass in the shell holder and don't have to stick the bullet/brass combo up in your seater die when reloading.
In other words, if you had redding comp seater dies, you couldn't have a piece of brass sitting in the shell holder and lay a bullet in place before seating. There would not be enough clearance. so what YOu have to do is take the brass out and put a bullet at the mouth, and turn it out a tad to get both in position. Really not as bad as it sounds. The redding comp seater dies come down farther than the typical seaters. Seating with a regular RCBS seater, you don't have to worry about it. Bottom, line no big deal.

But its not enough of a hassle for me to buy a new sepreme.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with BigCountry - in collecting the low velocity 300RUM data for our website we (re)loaded 1400 rounds on our classic chuckers, and while it would have been nice to have had the extra .75" at the top of the case for easier bullet seating... the lack of the extra space didn't noticably slow us down. One of these years/decades we'll look at finding some supreme chuckers, but at this point our 4 1970's and 1980's chuckers are doing just fine, (ie, if it ain't broke, don't fix it).

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

Posts: 46 | Location: far northern california (where guns aren't evil) | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. mauser95

one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
Same as the above posts with one minor addition.I use RCBS dies with my old Rock Chucker press just have to tilt the bullet to get into case for seating,have to tilt the case to get out to check for seating depth but not the loaded round at depth.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Once again, thanks for all the replies. I had a feeling that someone was trying to sell him a bill of goods. mauser95