Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bore cleaners
 Login/Join

posted
Would like to know what kinds of cleaners & procedures you use to clean barrel. I recently read about Hunter Extreme Coppermelt & it sounds excelent but seems expensive. Has anyone had experience with it. I am looking for a very good solvent & oil. Need to know good procedure to use also. Thanks for your help. http://www.coppermelt.com/index.html

Posts: 2 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Lately at home I`ve been useing Wipeout and oiling with FP10 or Breakfree. I haven`t tried coppermelt and can`t comment on it but I`ve used quite afew others and Wipeout is the easiest so far, and is safe to leave in your barrel.
I spray Wipeout in my barrel (it`s a foaming cleaner) and come back later, wipe dry and oil. You can`t get any easier then that! When I`m at the range or if I haven`t fired many rounds I use Butches Bore Shine.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<shooter223>
posted
I use a number of them. I cannot comment on Coppermelt.

For my cast bullet shooting I use Shooters Choice MC7 and Kroil 50/50. If the bbl is heavily leaded I'll use SC straight as it comes from the bottle, but usually 50/50 works well. Get the bbl soaked and scrub with a copper brush a few strokes then swab clean. Put another dose in and let it set for ten to fifteen minutes. Scrub with a brush again then run patches through until they come out clean.

For a barrel fouled with copper from jacketed bullets I've had good luck with Butch's Bore Shine. Just follow directions on the bottle.

I run a patch with kroil or Butchs Gun Oil through the bore before I put the gun back into the safe.

Always use a bore guide if you can. Ocassionally you'll get a badly fouled barrel. Usually on used guns. There I will use JB bore paste and short stroke the barrel with a patch wet with Kroil and smeared with JB. Alternate that with SC or Butch's until it comes clean.

FWIW, shooter...

posted Hide Post
Hello Flying K,

Shooters choice and Kroil mix here also been using a 60/40 mix for about 15 years now. Works very well and the smell reminds me of the old Hoppes formula [Smile]

All The Best
Steel [Cool]

Posts: 19 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 27 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I use wipeout for copper but it doesn't get the powder. Montana Extreme is the best all around I've found.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I use Butch's Bore Shine 90% of the time and Barnes CR-10 for the really tough jobs. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooters choice for day to day cleaining and sweets for tough jobs. I asked the tech guys at shooters choice about sweets,..and they told me it has the precaution on it because you are not supposed to let it evaporate and dry. This is when the problems could begin. I leave it in for 10-15 minutes...and dry patch it out. Then neutralize with a patch of SC.

I soak every barrel overnight with Kroil after cleaning, then run one patch to dry up the excess and put them in the safe.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried an experiment recently that you might find interesting. I was trying to get away from using bristle brushes. So I resorted to using only tight fitting patches with either Shooters Choice or Butches Bore Shine. Patches appeared to come out pretty clean. After about 4 trips to the range, I fell back to using the bristle brushes. I was fairly surprised at the gunk that came out of the barrels. This is with the same solvents mind you. There was a lot of stuff that did not come out using only the patches and solvent so I guess we're stuck with using the brushes after all, at least I am. Best wishes to all.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wipe out and CR-10 for copper removal. Wipe Out is the very best...About any good cleaner for the gunk and powder residue will work, I still like Hoppes for the powder residue....Copper is the culprit....I also like the Kroil and JBs....

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed`s Red first (homemade), to remove the powder fouling, followed by a few wet patches of alcohol, then on to the copper solvents.

Posts: 116 | Location: Finger Lakes, New York, | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my custom barrels, 3 patches Shooter's Choice/Kroil. Let sit 10 minutes. Another patch of same. Brush with bronze brush. Another patch of same. Dry patch. Wipout over night. Patch out with Kroil. Dry patch. Done. Once in a while I'll use some JB's before wipeout.

Posts: 83 | Location: Ut | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help been doing about the same as yall. Was looking for anything better. I have a 300wm that seems to build up with copper real bad. I read a little on the coppermelt web site & it sounded interesting. Always looking for something better. All the cleaners I have tried smell of amonia & heard that wasn't good. I don't have a bore guide. How important is that?

Posts: 2 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For copper removal, CR-10 is the winner hands down in my experience. For general powder fouling, Shooters Choice or Butch's is hard to beat. Good luck

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
At present I'm using Carburator and fuel injector cleaner to get rid of residue and such. U get 12 oz. at the 99 cent store.I remove the cap and put a needle hole through the pasty. This gives u a nice controled squirter till u replace the cap. Once the black stuff is mostly gone I go to work with CR-10, Butches, Sweets or Shooters Choice. I tell ya; the jury is still out which is best. I also use Hoppe's #9 for the nastalgic aroma more than any thing.

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
[Eek!]
quote:
I don't have a bore guide. How important is that?
[Eek!]

I'd rate it from very, when cleaning from the chamber end (gotta take care of the throat) to EXTREMELY, if cleaning from the muzzle. You've got to protect that muzzle, any minor imperfection here caused by anything will raise havoc with accuracy. They only cost a few bucks.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote