Find
Notify
Tools

Old cases
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted
I finally decided to clean up, and get rid of stuff I don`t use anymore. Hopefuly, to make room for some new stuff to fill it back up again [Big Grin]
I spent most of yesterday pulling bullets from loads I`ve had laying around from the last 30 yrs. I`m set on 129gr Horn 6.5 bullets, recouped a bunch of 150 gr 30 cal, along with assorted other calibers I won`t have to buy bullets for awhile.
I also accumulated a rather large pile of primed brass, a lot of which I no longer have a firearm for. I did a lot of neck sizeing on this stuff and the ones I do have a gun for to fire the primers off in the brass won`t fit with out resizeing.
The stuff isn`t worth anything, most of it has 6-7 loads through it or more, but being primed I don`t want to just toss in the trash.
I am going to load the good cases, resize (with out the depriming pin) and load the n/s cases I have a rifle for, but what to do with the other junk caseings?
I can`t touch off the primers with out a firearm. I would try to deprime them if there were only a couple but I`ve got 80 or so cases to dispose of, not 2 or 3. What would you guys do short of putting them in the vice and tapping them with a punch and hammer [Confused] [Confused]

I did think maybe I could get out of pulling all these rounds - close to 200 rds - by "donating" them to the local police as something to practice their disposal tactics on but they said they only take ammo found at crime scenes [Frown] [Frown]
I volunteered to bring them to the station and toss one at the desk officer if that would help but it didn`t sound like he thought it would work as planned..............

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, don't try to "fire" the primer without it being in the chamber of a gun! If detonated with a "punch and hammer", the primer will itself become a nifty little projectile as it blows itself out of the primer pocket and imbeds itself in the opposite wall of your reloading room (provided it hasn't already embedded itself in your shoulder or eye socket).

KIDS! DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Submerse them in water for a few weeks and dig a hole and bury 'em. If you're really worried, fill the hole with the shells encased in concrete. I've tossed them in a fire from a distance and stood back at a safe distance and waited for the primers to pop (count the shells AND the pops). However, I'm NOT reccomending this practice to anyone.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe, if you live in the country and have a burn barrel, just toss up into the fire and forget it. I've gotten rid of a lot of old primed brass this way. No need to make anything complicated about this at all.

Or you could fill the sink with water, drop them in and let them sink to the bottom for a minute and then go bury them. If I knew there wasn't any chance someone would dig them up the next day I would just say go bury them and forget the "bath" in the sink. Where you live the natural absorbtion of ground water is going to ruin these primers rather quickly, I should think.

Again no need to make this complicated. A drop or two of light oil in each case and then pitch them in the trash would also likely be fatal to the primers. Primers don't like any of the above treatments and quickly die if subjected to them.

OR - Surely there is some shooter you know who would be glad to glad to get the brass...even knowing it's not virgin...since you would give it away. Who can resist free brass? [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:

OR - Surely there is some shooter you know who would be glad to glad to get the brass...even knowing it's not virgin...since you would give it away. Who can resist free brass? [Smile]

Yea - what caliber's are you trying to get rid of?

Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas guys. I`m not quite senile enough yet to touch them off out of a chamber, although I doubt they would cause much damage - some noise and a 4 / 5 ft flame maybe.
Don`t ask where, but in my youth I saw some 22lr set off pinched between two bricks and hit with a hammer [Eek!] [Eek!] A bit of a pop and a couple lucky kids. The bullet at 2 ft didn`t even stick in the wall of the rabbit hutch!
There are not enough of any one cal to worry about finding a home for. There are 1/2 dz of one and maybe 2 dz of another,6.5x55, 308, 270, `06, 708, 45lc, 8x57, about 80+/- in all.
I`ve already decided to bury them, just kind of wondering if I had any company in finding I had more unsalvagable junk then I`d thought and what they did about it.
It really suprised me the law didn`t want them. They are always trying to "buy" guns and I thought they might want to get some of them nasty cartriges off the street. Specially since they were free, and they would`ve prevented someone from maybe finding and digging them up later and useing them for no good. They damn sure wouldn`t turn down a lb of powder if I offered it, I must have put 2+lbs on the lawn. (I pulled ~225 bullets)
It could have saved me alot of work if they took `em [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote