Find
Notify
Tools

Loading for the 7X64
 Login/Join

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I would like to know which powders(preferably european one's) are most suitable for the round if you are using 140-160 grain bullets. What velocity can be expected with these loads.

Which primer gives the best result, magnum or standard? Is the case volume of the 7X64 the same as the 280 rem?

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHAN:
Gentlemen

I would like to know which powders(preferably european one's) are most suitable for the round if you are using 140-160 grain bullets. What velocity can be expected with these loads.

Which primer gives the best result, magnum or standard? Is the case volume of the 7X64 the same as the 280 rem?

Cheers
/ JOHAN

Johan, you can use .280 Rem data - but you have to work up from the bottom. With respect to powders, what ever works best in the .280 Rem can be expected to work in the 7x64.

However, 7x64 data are readily available. Check VV Metric Guide. The VV reloading data are pretty conservative, but it looks like N160 should work well for the heavier bullets - not surprisingly. Norma (Norma - contains load data) also offers 7x64 data (but being a Swede, you probably know this :-). If you need RWS data, I can take a look in my manual, but it may well be a couple of days before I get in the vicinity of my "home base". I know I have loaded 7x64 with R905 previously (160 - 175 grs bullets)

Standard primers should be fine for the 7x64. I have not had that much luck with using magnum primers in standard cases - pressure seemed to rise unnecessarily. Others may have had a different experience?
Good luck - mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Kraut calibre Johan?!! [Embarrassed]

Its not a Blaser barrel your�e toying with?? [Big Grin] And shame on you for not having bought "Ladeboken", of course its got 7x64 data. I also believe Norma publish data for the 7x64. By the way, good choice I think, even though I went for the "intercooler edition" (7RM).

Tron

Posts: 210 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I think Norma MRP would be among the best powders for the 7X64. It sure works great in the 7X57mm and the 7mm Rem. Mag.!!

<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by trb:
A Kraut calibre Johan?!! [Embarrassed]

Its not a Blaser barrel your�e toying with?? [Big Grin] And shame on you for not having bought "Ladeboken", of course its got 7x64 data.
Tron

Hmm, No no no never a Blaser will find the way to my gun vault again. I have found a ZG-47 in this caliber for a friend. He doesn't handload soo I need to get him started. He bought a reloading kit today after me nagging on him. Kraut or not, it has some sort of appeal after all. The americanos "re-invented" it 50 years later soo call it what you want [Big Grin]

Since I never have trusted any Norwegian science, I haven't got the book [Big Grin]
If the Norwegians invented it you better be carefull [Big Grin]
Is i possible to get the book in any other language than Norsk perhaps?

Soo you like one of the old fashion belted inter cooled cases [Roll Eyes]

/ JOHAN

[ 04-01-2003, 23:17: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola Johan , for my 7 x 64 I opted for one bullet weight , 154 grains , but different bullet constructions , for light game Hornady 154 Gr. plastic tip , for medium Oryx 154 and though game I'll test RWS DK 154 Gr., all the bullets go for the same POI , powder the best Norma MRP or Tubal 8000 .
Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Johan, you need to understand Norwegian to enjoy Ladeboken, it is definitely worth the trouble though...And like for all sports-related things, I�m sure you know, when its Norwegian its also the best [Wink]

Just yesterday I tried out a new load for my 7RM, 150 gr Sierra MK (with Vithavouri N560), three series of three shots in one small ragged hole (like a Norwegian 50 �re (thats 65 �re to you [Big Grin] [Big Grin] )). My rifle also likes 150 gr. Nosler PT a lot, same point of impact, maybe worth trying in the 7x64?

Tron

Posts: 210 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Johan, I agree that the .280 Rem. came 50 years after the 7X64. However, there were a number of different "Gunsmith Versions" of the 7mm/'06 from almost the day the '06 arrived (7X63mm). Any time a new case shows up in this country, somebody will neck it up, down & sideways!!

<JOHAN>
posted
eldeguello

Very true my friend. The 7X64 was born around 1915-1920. I think the 7X64/280 is a very good round for most game. Naturally there has always been these home cooked wilcats with all possible cases as parents. I think that is very typical american, but also very fun [Big Grin]

What worrying me is that Remington managed to fiddle around soo much before the 280 became camberd in a boltaction. rifle [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

<eldeguello>
posted
Johan, you know, when Remington first introduced the .280, they made it in the M700 as well as the M740-742's for a couple of years, then dropped the bolt action, for some stupid reason. Thankfully, they did finally bring it back!! It's a great cartridge-like the 7X57, only better!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JOHANN:
3 MONTHS AGO I ACQUIRED A DUMOLIN 7 X 64 WITH 28" BARRELL AND TRY A LOT OF LOADS IN IT.
ALL WITH AMERICAN AND ARGENTINIAN POWDERS BECAUSE IT'S NOT VERY EASY TO GET EUROPEAN POWDERS IN MY COUNTRY.
I PUT MY EFFORTS IN A HEAVY BULLET TO USE IT IN THE RED STAG AND IN HOG THAT HERE ARE PRETY HEAVY,SO THE MAJOR OF MY LOADS ARE WITH 175 GRS BULLETS.
I WILL SIMPLIFIED ALL THE INFORMATION.
BULLET : REMINGTON 175 GRS
POWDER : IMR 4831 : 54 GRS
PRIMER: WLR (STD)
COL: 3.3"
VELOCITY: 2850 FPS
ACCURACY : 1" 130 MTS

BULLET : RWS: 177 GRS
POWDER : IMR 4831 : 52 GRS
PRIMER: WLR (STD)
COL: 3.3"
VELOCITY: 2770 FPS
ACCURACY : 0.7"- 130 MTS

I AM TRYING TOO WITH SPEER 175 GRS BULLETS BUT THEY ARE TOO MUCH HARD THAN THE OTHERS AND WITH 51 AND 52 GRS OF 4831 HAVE A LOT OF OVERPRESION SO AM THINKING OF STARTING WITH THEM IN 48 GRS OF 4831 AND SEE WHAT HAPEND.

ALL THIS LOADS ARE MAX YOU MUST TRY 2- 3 GRAIN LOWER IN YOUR RIFLE AND THEY ARE ASSEMBLED IN 30-06 BRASS CONVERTED TO 7 X 64.

I HOPE THIS IS USEFUL TO YOU.

I LIKE ALL THE EUROPEAN CALIBERS AND AM STAYING WITH THE MAJORITY OF MY RIFLES IN IT.

GOOD SHOOTING
GUILLERMO

Posts: 102 | Location: Catrilo La Pampa-Argentina | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My Sako 7x64 prefers N560 and R19 with both 140 and 160 grain bullets. If I remember correctly 175 grains were slow but very accurate with N560.

Posts: 8 | Location: NC | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Johan,
N560, 63grs; primer Federal Gold Match normal(not magnum)140grs bullet.
give me some feedback.
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
gtrotz
Thanks for the ADVICE, a tip for you my friend. Writeing with capital letters are like shouting instead of talking [Big Grin]

Steve M,
I will test the load soon, I have been busy all day fiddeling with the scope for this rifle. I'm waiting for some different types of bullets to arrive. We have to see what my friend likes

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
My Sauer 202 shoots around .5 MOA with these 2 loads which have become my stds. :

- 160 Sierra SP GK / N 160 / 56.0 (CCI 250*) : Roedeer ;
- 160 Sierra HP GK + same charge : heavier game.
Both shoot to same POI.

* with std. LR primers, groups tend to string vertically.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan,
57 grs. IMR-4831 150 Nosler 3125 FPS/3.29
54 H-4350 160 Nosler 3025/ 3.29
58 Rl-19 160 B-X 3100/3.275
54 H414 139 HOrnady 3111/3.
51 RL-15 130 Speer 3.125
57 IMR-7828 175 Corelokt 2843/3.315

All with Rem brass and Fed 210 primers, all about max loads, all very accurate in my rifle, a Mod. 21 Brno, 24" barrel...Long throated rifle as are all Brno 21 and 22's...all loads chronographed and av. of 5 shots. Start 10% under listed loads and work up...

Note: You can use 280 remington data....

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote