New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: New 300 RUM Load...200 Accubond!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
is that a compressed load in that gun? The local gun store has RL25 on sale for 59 bucks for 5 lbs, Im not sure if thats a good deal or if it would even work well in my 338wm but I would like any input on it I can get.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
It is not a compressed load though close to 100% loading density. I do not know whether or not it will work in the 338. RL 22 works well in the 338 WM.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah thats what im currently using but I havent really had a chance to test it out. I have loaded a few up with 77, 78 and 79 grains. 79 grains is just about full case capacity and then it gets compressed when I seat the bullet. I dont think the 77 compresses much tho because Im using 180 grain ballistic tips which dont go in too far.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn! Lookin' good, Pop!

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Damn! Lookin' good, Pop!

Thanx Jon!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP,...how far from the lands were you on that load??????

Sweet!!!!!

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very impressive.I am anxious to try the new 180gr accubond in my own 300ultramags.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
The COAL is 3.687. Very close to the lands though not exactly sure. This is max for the SAKO's magazine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
POP, with groups like that I might have to get a sako 75. I have been wanting one for a while in stainless like yours so if you don't mind post a picture.

You results are nothing short of awesome to say the least.

I am jealous to say the least. I could only dream of shooting a group like that. Great shooting my friend.

One thing I would like to know is that I thought you could get more velosity out of the 300 rum. 3100fps with a 200 gr is 300 weatherby velosity range. Can it get pushed more or not. Now I am not complaining especially with results like yours but just curious. I thought that a 300 rum could push a 200gr to 3300 fps or there abouts. Please don't take this the wrong way but was just wondering.

Man you are making my decision on the sako 75 even easier.

Congrats on the rifle

Brian

Posts: 119 | Location: NJ | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
This is what it looks like exactly. I think 3200 fps is doable in a 300 RUM with a 200 gr. For the 300 WBY 3050 fps is max but pushing it. I am getting 3148 fps to be exact, but with acuuracy like this who needds the extra 50 fps?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian, I was able to easily pass 3250 with H870 but accuracy wasn't good--not due to the velocity but due to excessive compression of the powder charge, I think.

I settled on 95 of Retumbo for 3177 (from new cases) which is a pretty mild load. With that powder 3200 fps without pressure signs is quite doable, I just decided to be conservative for once. I would guess Pop could up his RL 25 load enough to hit 3200, but after shooting groups like that it's hard to want to change anything.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Pop sweet for sure. Your results are just awesome.

I knew you could get more out of a 300 rum to the range of 3200-3300 fps but with results like that who would want to.

300 weatherby mag can get 3100 fps with a 200gr I have seen many times before but just thought the 300rum could do better.

I think I will have to go and get me one of those sako 75's

Gotta love it.

Brian

Posts: 119 | Location: NJ | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop, your the only guy I know that gets his hands on tack drivers no matter what. I remember you had a LSS, a sako and another 300RUM, all you posted was max loads or greater with .5MOA accuracy. Shoot your the only guy I know that got 180 Scirrocos to shoot with MRP. What is your secret? Thus far with my 300RUM with a custom barrel, I have three good loads. None are near max, in fact I lose accuracy when approaching max. The Triple XXX is my .5" shooter load out of the bunch. Been working awhile with the 200gr Accubonds. No good luck as of yet.

One is 88gr RL25 180 Triple XXX 3.625" COL (my max length)
Two is 94gr Retumbo 190gr Matchking 3.67" COL
Three is 94gr H1000 180 Nosler Partition 3.6" COL

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Pop, your the only guy I know that gets his hands on tack drivers no matter what. I remember you had a LSS, a sako and another 300RUM, all you posted was max loads or greater with .5MOA accuracy. Shoot your the only guy I know that got 180 Scirrocos to shoot with MRP. What is your secret? Thus far with my 300RUM with a custom barrel, I have three good loads. None are near max, in fact I lose accuracy when approaching max. The Triple XXX is my .5" shooter load out of the bunch. Been working awhile with the 200gr Accubonds. No good luck as of yet.

One is 88gr RL25 180 Triple XXX 3.625" COL (my max length)

Two is 94gr Retumbo 190gr Matchking 3.67" COL

Three is 94gr H1000 180 Nosler Partition 3.6" COL

BC:

I was born and partially raised in Greece. At a very young age I became enamored with firearms and especially reloading. Problem is stuff like that is taboo there and highly illegal. So all I could do is read everything I got my hands on as far as rifles, pistols, and handloading goes without getting any practical experience! I actually began reloading (hands on) 10 years ago when I was 28 years old. No practical knowledge but tremendous theoretical knowledge.

All my reloading stuff is top grade and my reloads are impeccable! Brass is segregated, squared, necks turned etc. Now there are some rifles that I just can not get to shoot because they are just problematic! Those I rebarrel, trade in (not here but in gun shows and auction sites). Give me enough time to work on something and chances are I will make it shoot!

posted Hide Post
Sometimes I think it is as much the shooter as it is the rifle. Pop is a very accurate shooter( I cant wait to go shooting with him ) and like he said takes the time to make his loads up right. I wonder sometimes how much air makes a difference as well. A rifle has to be a pretty sorry one if I cant get it MOA or under. I just think it is weird how both of us living in the same state get simular results with our rifles.

Shooting Sako's doesnt hurt either

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Can't wait either. Got any Prairie dog towns over that way?

one of us
posted Hide Post
rock on!!!!!!!!!

ive got to try that one now!

Posts: 111 | Location: eagle river ak | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote