THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Why does it say to trim the cases to .010" less than max?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why does it say to trim the cases to .010" less than max?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is that becuse it is to grow that much?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
Because when you resize the case- the expander ball inside the neck pulls on the neck- stretching the case as you draw it out of the die. If you don't trim "short" you may exceed OAL.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You trim BEFORE you resize?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
I would think the reason for trimming .010" shorter than max is to allow one to load several (a few?) times before trimming would be required again.

There is no rule that says you have to trim .010" short, but if you trimmed to max allowable length, it would probably require trimming every time. That would be a pain IMO, but do it if you like.

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Clark, I trim before I size my cases because, with my Lyman case trimmer, the pilots won't fit inside the neck of a sized case...

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Why, so you won't have to trim every time!! Like wildcatjunkie said.

------------------
Larry

<ultramag>
posted
Doesn't the biggest part of case growth occur w/ FL re-sizing?

------------------
May your chambers be true to your bores.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I size the cases, then trim.

A couple of years ago, my rifle's bolt didn't want to lock over some cases, and the only difference between those and the rest was that they were a little longer. Since then I always make sure all the cases do not exceed maximum length.

Could a longer than usual case shoved too far forward toward the lands cause problems? I have heard it can.

[This message has been edited by Ray, Alaska (edited 03-01-2002).]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<ultramag>
posted
Ray,
It can pinch the neck and tighter around the bullet and spike pressure.

------------------
May your chambers be true to your bores.