New
Find
Notify
Tools

629 Detonation
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend sent me a picture of a Smith 626 44 magnum that blew up. The top strap/rear sight is gone and so is the upper half of the cylinder. It appears that the rounds on each side of the top round went off as well. Anyone seen this picture and have any information.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like a dummy I deleted his email and he did the same. So, I have no picture to refer to.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post

I understand and appreciate your sentiments, but it sure is bit of a slap in the face to a lot of LEOs, fire-fighters, search & rescue guys, civilian air-evac crews, life guards, and many others...

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Improper burn rate powder &/or double charged case
will blow the top half of the cylinder & top strap off any revolver.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyK-9:
Like a dummy I deleted his email and he did the same. So, I have no picture to refer to.

If he is using Windows his email should still be in his "sent" folder.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A guy on 24hourcampfire.com in the handguns forum posted the pictures and a link to the explanation for the failure. Smith and Wesson says the chamber was conical shaped and too narrow at the front end to allow for bullet movement into the forcing cone and barrel. As a result the pressure caused the rounds on each side of the bad chamber to let go also. Factory manufactured ammo was used.

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
For those who are curious here's the thread over on 24 hour campfire.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Metal fatigue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO NO, Mental fatigue!

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyK-9:
...Smith and Wesson says the chamber was conical shaped and too narrow at the front end to allow for bullet movement into the forcing cone and barrel. ...
I wonder "How?" they could possibly determine that was the problem. Once the cartridges on either side fired, there was obviously enough pressure to Deform the cylinder between them. So, saying it was "conical" would be Full-of-Beans.

I've not used a lot of S&Ws over the years because when I first started buying revolvers many years ago they had a bit of a reputation for "shooting loose" over time. That impression was removed when the latest Owners acquired S&W from the British folks that darn near put S&W out of business.

The newer S&Ws seem to be stronger from what I've seen and based on new S&W revolvers my buddies have purchased.

Does the Teardrop shape Cylinder Latch indicate it was made by the newest Owners? I do not remember that shape on the older ones, but that could be Full-of-Beans too.

Since it was obviously a fresh cylinder full of "Factory" cartridges, I'd suspect that either:

1. The last fired cartridge had the Bullet hang in the barrel and then the following shot created the disaster.
2. Or the Factory ammo was using a Fast Powder and got an Overload dropped by mistake.

3. Or the factory was using some of seafire's Reduced Blue Dot Loads. (Whenever I hear or see about a Ka-Boom, it crosses my mind.)

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, the cheap shot was not necessary... You are now officially on my ignore list.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder "How?" they could possibly determine that was the problem.

Ditto. There isn't enough of the chamber involved left to make such a determination.

Now, I don't remember where I saw that photo a week or so ago but it was posted by a "friend" and reported that the owner thought it was one of his own double charged reloads. That sounds much more plausable to me.

There are a lot of things I would call that but none of them would be a "629 detonation"!

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Hot Core, the cheap shot was not necessary... You are now officially on my ignore list.
Having me "care less" is totally impossible.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DocEd:
NO NO, Mental fatigue!

lol

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would almost guarantee that a double charge of fast burning powder, probably w/ heavy 300gr bullets. It looks just like a guy's I know that KB his RBH w/ a triple charge of RedDot. Sweared up & down it was BlueDot, but I found both cans on his bench the next day. Some reloaders learn the hard way. High pressure rounds & uberfast powders are an accident waiting to happen.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet his shorts took a hit too.
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longshot:
I'll bet his shorts took a hit, too.
Longshot

jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a model 29 that looked like that some years back. The 2 jomokes who were loading kept on increaseing the amount of ( I belive Clays was the powder) to get more and more Higher vel. Well it finally let loose. ( the book loads were just not good enough for them.)

More likely super hot hand loads then any thing else.

Posts: 19580 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote