THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    How far mjust the chrony be setup from the muzzle ?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How far mjust the chrony be setup from the muzzle ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted
After the session at the range last Saturday I was wondering what is the perfect distance to setup the tripod for the chrony ? Saturday it was it was 5 yards from the barrel and other times it was a bit further looked like the chrony liked this distance more as it gave out reading much more consistent and easier.

What worries me now is that if the chrony is setup so close by does it read the bullet only or the muzzle blast as well ? The readings looked fine but the screen did shake quite a bit form the muzzle blast especially from my 375. Any experts on chronies that can help me ?

[ 01-17-2003, 19:35: Message edited by: Safari-Hunt ]

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
<chuk>
posted
The instructions that came with the crony should give you the info you seek.

chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I set mine up at 10' from the muzzle and get consistent results. It's also a good idea to purchase (from Shooting Chrony) or make clear plastic shields to protect the display and photoelectric cells. You can set yours further away [from the muzzle], say 15', but then it is difficult to read the velocity. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Always set mine 15-feet away.....

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I set up a Chrony 7' - 10' from the muzzle. The .300 Win mag blew the tripod and Chrony to the ground. I was not happy - too much muzzle blast! Now I use 15' and strap the tripod legs to a heavy rucksack. Much better. Guy

[ 01-17-2003, 21:19: Message edited by: m700 ]

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote