New
Find
Notify
Tools

help a rookie
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am a novice at reloading, and new to reloading 375 H&H. I tried to load a 300 gr TBBC over 79 gr of H414. I was trying to get a cartridge length after loading of 3.6. Before I could get their the bullet would hang up in the die, stuck on the seating ram. Any thoughts as to what I'm going wrong?

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like there might be a problem with the seating stem/plug, or maybe the wrong one for the 375. Disassemble the die and take a look at the seater plug. Also, what do the tips of the stuck bullets look like?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
You probably need to open up or polish the area in the seater plug that is contacting the ogive of the bullet. Take it out and gently chuck in a drill press (not too hard or you will bugger up the threads) and turn the drill press on and polish the inside a bit with a stone. It doesn't take much and that should get you going.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
The seating plug contour is wrong for the bullet you're using. Call whatever company made your die, tell them the bullet you're using and they should be able to sell you the appropriate seating plug.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornWhat has been said by the others is probably gospel but make sure you have an adequite ID chamfer . seems that you must be getting a large upward force from some where. Roll EyesIs your expander under size?
ConfusedCould the bullets possibly be chanting? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try to spin your case as you raise the ram. This will help stand the bullet up straight so it will miss the hang up edge.

To spin just pull a finger past the case head.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is very basic, actually extemely basic, but if you have the die set to close to the ram, or too low in the press, you could be crimping the case before the bullet is seated completely. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. It looks like there were two factors, one: I did have the die screwed down too close to the ram, and two: the "cup" on the seater plug it too tight a fit. I moved the die up a little and switched to an old 375 H&h die that I came across in some stuff that I inherited from my brother and everything is working well.
Thanks again for the help.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote