Find
Notify
Tools

Neck Size with Full lenght Dies???
 Login/Join

<BlairB>
posted
Hi
A question: Is it possible to neck size with full length dies. A mate tells me all i need to do is unwind the sizing die a turn and i can achieve this?? I have tried this and the primers are popped out(seemigly without forcing the whole case into the die) and i can rest a projectile for seating, but the necks dont seem as round as when full lenght sizing. Is this a problem or adversely going to influence my accuracy. Any wisdom out there greatly apprecioated!

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
You really aren`t neck sizeing with a full lenght die, what your getting is a partialy sized case. The necks of your cases shouldn`t be out of round from doing this though. I set my dies this way for a couple of cartridges I load, although I do it more to keep from setting back the shoulder while still sizeing the case walls a tad then neck sizeing. I feel if done right the small unsized ring left on the neck / shoulder juction helps line up the bullet. If you raise the die to much you`ll find the case rolls around in the die and runout can be a problem. If you want to "neck size" you`ll have to use a true neck die.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<BlairB>
posted
G'day Jo
Mate, thanks a million for your reply...that is really helpful, for a newbie!!...will see how they go and also pick up a real neck die...thanks
Blair