New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-35 cases out of 30-30?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone done this? According to the Hornady book the 25-35 is one K larger at the base and 4 K longer. Seems to me that the length difference wouldn't matter, but how about the base diameter?

Thanks.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nonsense! Four thousandths is nothing on a brass case OD. Go back to the drawing and look at the allowed tolerances. Huge.
Make your cases...

Posts: 17274 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problemo.

Posts: 792 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What them other guys already said.

If you happen to have a 7mm Waters die (ha!) or a 7mm/08 die, you might make the process a little easier by using that die first, then the .25-35 FL die for the final form. BTW, the case will lengthen when you squeeze down the neck (that brass has to go somewhere), so it should end up not far from spec in the final form.

I made about a hundred .25 Remington from .30 Remington many years ago and lost hardly a case.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been making 25-35 for 50 plus years..I run a 30-30 case thru a file trim die, then a fL 25-35 die and load them up..
However I have two large coffee cans of new 25-35 cases I purchased several months ago from ET Brass best I recall..I have several 25-35s, keep in mind that 25-35 brass for reason known only to the dark Gods of rifle brass is the worst brass in the history of gun dome!!??? If you make 25-35 brass then you must use resized 30-30 cases

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
The 25-35 also has a fair amount more taper to the body than 30-30, so you may want to do that part in a couple of stages - get the taper started, back the case out of the die and re-distribute the lube, and then finish form.

This has been true for me with forming other tapered cases to avoid sticking or lube dents, but I have not done it specifically with 30-30 to 25-35. Might not be necessary at all.

As above, the base and length dimensions are fine.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Speak of the devil, look what's up on our auction site at the moment, scroll down. Someone dearly wants them though.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/ma...ng/ammunition?page=4

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote