Find
Notify
Tools

Best 10 MM loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any favorites for the 10mm?

Posts: 403 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I know this isn't what you were really asking for....

I carry my 10 m/m every day, every where, and sleep with it under my pillow at night. Kinda nice to have a "duty" gun that stokes 16 rounds of approximately .41 Mag potential, before needing to reload.

After thinking it all through, I've decided the BEST load for my purposes is the Winchester "Black Talon" factory ammo. If I couldn't get that, I'd try to get something loaded with Gold-Dot bullets. I know Black Talon has long been hard to come by, but it IS still out there to be found. I have gotten/stashed numerous boxes of it over the last few years, for present and future needs.

For my Ruger Bisley in the same chambering, I use Blue Dot and 200-gr. home-cast SWC bullets, as multi-purpose plinkers.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Glocktalk.com has two sites devoted to the 10mm. I have had good luck w/ BlueDot, HS7 & AA#7 & 180gr bullets.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
13 grains of AA7 and a nosler 135 makes very dead crats

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchloc: I hope they are super accurate because I just ordered 750. I usually order one box to test but if they work out I will bulk load them for a varmint hunt. If they don't then my buddies will benefit. I called Nosler and they said they were constructed lighter than the Gold Dot. I ordered several other makes and weights for testing.

Posts: 403 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are there any other sites that might offer some data? I am pressed for time and I need to get some powder this weekend. Nosler said BlueDot worked well for them with the 135gr. My personal 10mm is a 610 and will be using it for an upcoming prairie dog hunt. So accuracy is critical. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alberta Canuck: Did you convert your Bisley or modify a BuckEye?

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are there any other sites that might offer some data

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage_handgun.asp?CaliberID=13

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nothing beats IMR 800-X ballistics but it meters like crap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tanker:
Alberta Canuck: Did you convert your Bisley or modify a BuckEye?

-----------------------------------------------

Neither. It is a "Buckeye" that came with both .38-40 Win. & 10 m/m cylinders. I use the same kind of powder and bullets in both cylinders, though different weights of powder charge.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh. You called it a Bisley. I thought maybe something slipped by and I missed a variation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I misinterpreted your question. Sorry. I thought you were referring to a chambering conversion. Yes, it has been converted to a Bisley grip frame.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve:
Your pages look rather comprehensive. I did not see any loads selected for accuracy. I am looking for those loads that possess target capability. I know the the 10mm will shoot into one hole at 25 yards if fed right and pretty well if not. I have a load of Nosler 135s on the way. I would like something that is target level with them 1st off. Of course I would appreciate any others that shoot well also. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The highlighted selection is what you are looking for.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve: I'm looking. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alberta Chuck: What kind of groups are you getting from your Buckeye? I forgot I had one packed away. It is much better finished than a regular Blackhawk. With its steel grip frame it is quite the anchor. The 610 is also no lightweight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butchloc: Nosler recommends 12.2gr of AA-7 as a starting load as well as the most accurate with that powder. I tried 12gr. of AA-7, WLP, yesterday with the 135gr. Accuracy was very good but primers were badly flattened. That is at .2 below starting. I won't be trying your load in this gun. May get up to it in others. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In very well built guns with Nowlin ramped barrels, I've seen amazing velocities using Nosler 135s pushed by Winchester Super Field powder,

Have chrono'd some in the high 1500 fps range. Loads are very accurate, and their effect on whitetails is explosive. That bullet is really too light to make a good hunting load.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mstarling: At the moment I am searching for a varmint load. I picked the 135gr. since it's weight should offer potentially higher velocity, possibly more rapid expansion,at the same time producing lower recoil and weighing less for airline transport.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1500 with a 135 is nice, but....

800x will do 1670 fps. no case bulging in my glock, pressures are thus less than some factory loads.

slide speed is the concern. use a buffer and all is well with the world.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
delloro: I have not tried 800X. So far I have tried 231, AA-7,and BlueDot. I am using a S&W M-610 revolver so slide velocity is not a concern. So far all tested loads have grouped well but I am looking for the one holers with acceptable pressures. I will try 800X when I get a chance.