THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Question for Ralph Hyrlik on Inside Neck Reaming

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Ralph Hyrlik on Inside Neck Reaming
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted
Ralph or anyone with experince with this technique. I would like to get more information on the inside neck reaming and don't want to high jack the thread on outside neck turning.

Is this a special order die and reamer from RCBS? I did not see it in their on line catalog.

Assuming the die fits in the press. What tool turns the reamer or is it turned by hand?

What cost range would I be looking at to set up for one caliber?

One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
It is a special order item.

It is usually a component of a case forming kit where neck reaming is anticipated, however it can be custom made for any listed caliber.

The reamer is turned by hand with a T-handle, like a tap. The reamer cuts very quickly, much faster than turning the outside of the neck.

Reamer sizes are standard. The reamer may be used in multiple dies. If you have a 22-250, a 223, or a 22-50BMG Ackley Improved you can use the same reamer. All you need is the appropriate die body.

Reamers are $80. Die boddies are $80.

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I thought someone was way off base the first time I read about neck reaming for accruracy.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey RH

Can you copy/paste the address at Midway or somewhere that shows where and how to order?

Without guns we are subjects, with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've got three caliber sets of the now-discontinued Lee Target Loader. It uses the straight line neck reaming as part of the loading process. These sets have turned out the most concentric reloads I've ever done.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Hey RH

Can you copy/paste the address at Midway or somewhere that shows where and how to order?

Without guns we are subjects, with guns we are citizens
Any pictures of the reamer or die body,any address,sounds intereting Cool

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
It looks like a regular FL die.

Imagine a 4" reamer with a T-handle in place of the decapping rod.

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Ralph, Thanks again. Another question. As an average shooter/loader tinkering with factory brass should I expect much improvement adding this as part of my brass prep?

One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
YES!!!

Have you noticed that some bullets are noticeably harder to seat than others?

Have you noticed that some cases have thicker necks than others?

Have you noticed that some cases always seem to produce rounds with hardly any runout, while other cases always seem to produce rounds with a ton of runout?

This gizmo improved runout, and neck tension. It adds one more step to case prep, but it takes much of the frustration away.