New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloader powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is the reloader series of powders an extreem powder that resists temp changes like the hogdon series of extreem powders?. thanks, dave

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. Though RL15 is known to be quite stable in most applications. The new RL17 is advertised as being temp stable by Alliant. I use RL22 in my 7mmRM, because it gives the best accuracy for my rifle, but it isn't very temp stable. I'd probably switch to H1000 or H4831 if I didn't have so darn much RL22 I need to burn up! Big Grin

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the most part unless your loading at the very top end of the data for your rifle, you will not see much of an issue.

However working up loads to the top end range in temps ranging from 60 - 75 degrees, will show issues once temps hit 80 and up. If your loads are worked up in 85 - 90 degree weather, you shouldn't see much of an issue until temps get in the low 30's or even lower depending on the actual load density of the case.

I have used several of the RL powders for years, and the only really noticeable issues I have had were in low temps with slightly compressed to compressed charges, or when shooting top end loads worked up in cooler weather, then being shot during summer. This is especially forthcoming when shooting magnum sized cases and charges running from around 65grs and up. I haven't noted many issues with the mid sized cases like those based from the '06, with 19, 22, or 25, and the only loads I have used with 15 have been in my 7x30 Waters and a few loads with my 308. Of these two I have seen issues with the Contender, but the charge was adjusted and nothing else has come about. I can say that the loads in which I still use RL powders for, are the most accurate, and consistent I have developed for the particular rifles they are used in.

Following the above guideline with regard to temps, you should be able to work up some very respectable loads, with little issue if you stay away from pushing the last bit of velocity from the combo.

Mike / Tx