New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 resized to 7mm-08?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone resize .308 to a 7mm-08? Any extra steps or simply run a .308 through a 7mm-08 die and maybe trim?

Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both of my 7-08s think they are 308s because of the head stamps. Simple one pass operation to resize 308 into 7-08.

Picture of RvS
posted Hide Post
It works, but with quality brass available, why do it unless you have a bunch of undedicated brass.
Sometimes the necks on the re-calibrated cases require a lot of attention to make them concentric, or even thin enough to seat the bullets without a bulge or wobble.
If you do it, Mark those cases plainly. (please)
old

Same hole I think!

Posts: 19 | Location: Central, VA | Registered: 28 November 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7mm-08 is difficult to find and .308 is less expensive also. I have over a thousand rounds of .308 brass and the only 7mm-08 I have found are $51 a hundred. I am just getting started with my 7mm-08, I really like the round.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done this a lot you may find some brass needs neck turned after sizeing. I found some range pickups that did.

Posts: 54 | Location: PNW | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I just re-size and trim. Works fine!

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you've a factory rifle, I think neck turning would be of little concern. The only time I've had to neck turn .308/7-08 brass was with a rifle with a custom barrel.
'Course it wouldn't hurt to measure the reformed brass with a bullet in it and then mesure the neck after you've fired it to see if you've got room for the neck to expand and release the bullet.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've reformed 308 brass down to 243 in one pass for a factory gun that had a really sloppy chamber.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
7mm-08 is difficult to find and .308 is less expensive also.

there is nothing wrong with resizing brass. but if it is available, i buy new brass.
Cabela's has plenty of 7MM-08 brass, it is not hard to find.. i buy it alot.

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I've reformed 308 brass down to 243 in one pass for a factory gun that had a really sloppy chamber.
I've done the same for a gun with a relatively tight chamber. The chambers of most guns rarely require neck thinning when doing this, and even less so with the 7-08.

It is best to work with brass that has been fired no more than once since brass fired several times will have necks that are somewhat work hardened and may split unless annealed (and annealing is a delicate art best avoided unless absolutely necessary.)

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
I have a 270-08 which is the cousin of the 7mm-08.
I run 308 Win Lapua brass in one pass through a RCBS FLS die. I have also used RP, FC and WIN brass as well that was 7mm-08 and 308 Win.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote