New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cylinder brass for 223 Remington
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for cylinder brass (unformed cases) for the 223 Remington.

I tried Quality Cartridge, but no luck.

Any suggestions? Not finding much via Google either.

Thanks!

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cylinder brass, check EZ Hat and Hawks, is available from R-P in straight wall cases with a head stamp 35 Whelen, it is 2.650 long and sells for about $37.00 for 20 cases.

If I was desperate I would anneal cases for other chambers and then neck up, but, the disadvantage is the length of the case when using that method, when necking up the cases gets shorter, when necking down the case gets longer and when finished the case is always too short as when using 30/06 cases for 35 Whelen, 338/06 and 30 Gibbs, the process of forming and fire forming results in a case that shortens .035 to .040 thousands.

http://www.z-hat.com/Cylinder.htm

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both.

Guffey, the cylinder brass that Z-Hat has is from the 30-06 parent case.

It's good stuff, but too big for the 223 Remington.

I've used the Z-Hat brass for my 400 Whelen Ackley improved.

Garrett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the word is "Cylindrical"

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I think you are right about the adverb and prepositional phrase. But "cylinder brass" has become the standard nomenclature for it since the '20's.
Townsend Whelen called it "cylinder brass" when he was making is 400 cartridge. The term has stuck, and it's still called that by most reloaders.
But then again, we reloaders don speek so good englich.

Garrett

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. Garrett:
I am looking for cylinder brass (unformed cases) for the 223 Remington. ...Any suggestions? ...
Depending on what you want to do with it, I the old 222RemMag is a bit longer than a 223Rem, if that is enough.

Might have to Neck-Up the Cases until they are the same Diameter all the way up. Plus some Annealing along the way to hold down on Case loss.

One of the BIG Companies "might" make a run of them for you, but it would be a large quantity.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote