THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 Barnes Triple Shock range results.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tried the 100gr triple shocks out for the first time Saturday in my 25-06.
Factory Stock Ruger SST MkII with 24" free floated barrel.
nickle brass, federal large magnum match primers.
cartridge OAL 3.14, all are 3 shot groups

Results:
IMR 4350
52 gr
3355 fps
.80 group
(group was 1.3 at 54grains and 3480 gps)

IMR 4831 (wow)
54gr
3452 fps
.34 group (only load tried with this powder)

H4831sc
56gr
3422 fps
1.6 group (only load tried with this powder)

Didn't have any fouling issues. Last groups shot were the best of the day.
I would say Barnes has a winner in these Triple Shock bullets, they are much more accurate in this rifle than either the x bullets or the xlc bullets were.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got some for my 25-06AI and 257WBY hav'nt loaded for them yet. keep me posted thanks

Posts: 182 | Location: Bandon Oregon | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fyi--I ran your loads past quick load. It "guesses" those loads to be at least 150 fps slower than you got. All I can say is keep an eye out for pressure signs. You could be getting somewhat "turbo'd" by the use of mag primers, perhaps slightly reduced case capacity with the nicket cases, and a fast barrel. At any rate that's really "smokin". Like I said maybe keep an eye out for pressure. I have some loaded but haven't shot them yet Some users of the triple x seem to be reporting increased velocity without apparent pressure signs BUT--being that they are new and everything please keep a eye out for signs like loose prime pockets etc. Good luck--you cetainly shouldn't need the .25 wsm when it comes out!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kraky,
I do have a fast barrel. There were no signs of pressure with these loads. In fact I am going to add half a grain to the very accurate load just to get it to 3500fps. I will take your advice and keep an eye out for the loose primer pockets.
I normally use the appearance extractor marks on the base as my guide for high pressure and reduce accordingly when they start to show up.
Never had a problem using this pressure detection method.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote