New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lapua or Norma brass for 260 Rem?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm in the process of having one of my Sako rifles rebarreled in .260 Rem.

After reloading Lapua brass for my 6/284, I was really impressed with the Lapua over WW brass.

Unfortunately, Lapua doesn't produce 260 brass so I'd have to resize either .243 Win up or .308 Win down. Probably go with necking up the .243 brass. However, Norma does offer brass for the .260 Rem.

Any suggestions as to which would be the better choice, Lapua .243, Lapua .308 or Norma .260 Rem?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Lapua in 6.5 x 284 and 6.5 Grendel and Norma in 6 mm XC. I do believe the Lapua is slightly higher quality but, I use the Norma repeatedly and regularly at 1000 yds with excellent results. In your situation, I would buy the Norma before resizing and dealing with an incorrect caliber stamp.
Regards,

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both Norma and Lapua for my 6.5x55 and like my Norma brass alot.

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 308 and neck them down. That way you can turn the necks to your chamber specs. Necking up 243 works well but the necks don't last long. Necking down 308s end up a little short and 243s end up a little long and have to be trimmed.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I use the 243 brass necked up for my 260ai. I have no issues at all w/ neck splits. I can't seem to neck down the 308 brass successfuly in one pass & they do have to be turned. The 243 is just easier for me & accuracy/longevity seem unaffected. To be honest, the RP brass is fine, just sort & prep. Also the Nolser brass is pretty good too.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote