New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load for a Norwegian Krag
 Login/Join

<antique>
posted
I have a sporterized Norwegian Krag in 6.5 X 55 that I would like to shoot. I understand that 6.5 Swede ammo is too hot for this action. Can anyone suggest a load using a 140 gr. bullet? TIA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think that if you used the starting loads in the books for 6.5X 55 they would work just fine.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello antique.
It's true that the 6,5x55 Swedish mauser is to hot for the Krag action. Also make sure your cartridges and chamber are 100% Free of moisture or oil. Because that will affect the precision of the rifle.
I've heard that our old competition shooters ALWAYS shot with wet cartridges, to prevent rain and so one that could destroy their shooting. Because there was often no roof on the old shooting-ranges. They simply had a cup of water beside them, and dipped the cartridge before they put it in the chamber.
I have several loads for Krag, but it's only using Norma and Vihtavuori powders.
Anyway:
(I prefer VV N160 because it fills the case pretty well, and shows steady pressures all the way.)
120 grs Sierra(N160):
44 grs 2590 ft/s
45 grs 2678 ft/s

144 grs Sierra Match King(N160):
42 grs 2449 ft/s
43 grs 2456 ft/s
43,5 grs 2492 ft/s

156 grs Norma Vulkan(N160):
40 grs 2173 ft/s
41 grs 2265 ft/s
42 grs 2333 ft/s

I hope this can help you so don't destroy your self or the old weapon.

------------------
Shoot well, and hit hard.

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I once had a Norwegian Krag. Although Krags aren't as strong as Mausers, the Norwegian one used better steels and heat treatment than U.S. Krags, and in the Norwegian version, the bolt guide rib bears in the receiver when locked, acting as a second locking lug. A load I used in mine was 46 grains of H4831 with a Sierra or Nosler 140 grain bullet for mule deer. Once shot a buck that field dresssed 254 pounds with the 140 Sierra. Range was about 200 yds. Thought I had missed, as the bullet kicked up dust beyond the deer. Turned out that it had just blasted right on through him. For all I know, that bullet is still going!! Sold the Krag - big mistake!! Would buy another today if I could find one!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by antique:
I have a sporterized Norwegian Krag in 6.5 X 55 that I would like to shoot. I understand that 6.5 Swede ammo is too hot for this action. Can anyone suggest a load using a 140 gr. bullet? TIA

The very fine Vapenjounalens Ladebok - which Arild certainly has standing in his shelf - lists three pages of loads for the 6,5 x 55 Krag (in its 3rd edition 1995). I evidently won't type that all here, but feel invited to drop me an email note, if you would like a xerocopy mailed or preferably faxed to you.

Regards,
Carcano
carcano91@hotmail.com

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You got me there, Carcano91!!
BUT this is loads that a buddy of mine loves in his Krag J�rgensen, used on Norwegian R�deer(?).
By the way, the 3'rd Edition of that book is at the moment sold out. The 4'th Edition is right around the corner, and i don't think they let out the 6,5x55 Krag if i know the author S.Solli right.

------------------

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 460wby:
By the way, the 3'rd Edition of that book is at the moment sold out. The 4'th Edition is right around the corner, and i don't think they let out the 6,5x55 Krag if i know the author S.Solli right.

This book has sincerely impressed me. Even though I - obviously - understand only a fraction of it with some effort and difficulty (wish I had studied Althochdeutsch instead of law), I would still be inclined to rank it among the four best reloading handbooks of the world (the other three, in alphabetical sequence, being A-Square's "Any shot you want"; the French Nobel Sport book - very easy to underestimate, but a treasure of knowledge and sound judgement, often almost hidden in parentheses and small remarks; and the scholarly and meticulous German RWS-Dynamit Nobel handbook).

Best regards,
Carcano
carcano91@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by carcano91 (edited 08-08-2001).]

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes, and............Yes!!!!
I can't agree more when it comes to literature, Carcano.
But, i don't know the RWS -manual. It sounds like something i need. Do you know if it has an english edition??
I belive i am just as good in German language as you may be in Norwegian??!!

------------------

Arild.

<antique>
posted
Although I speak a little German, and no Norwegian, I would like to thank all of you who did respond. I will try some of these loads. Do any of you know where I might find a copy of Vapenjournalens Ladebok in the US.

<eldeguello>
posted
Dear Carcano: Where does one find these exotic reloading manuals of which you speak?? They sound fascinating, and would definitely be something different for a change....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello again, folks.
I don't know if they send copies of "Vapenjournalen's Ladebok" out of the country, but try.
Look at WWW.VJnett.NO, and if you don't understand Norwegian, push on "LADEBOKEN" and you'll find it. BUT as i mention earlier, it's sold out at the moment but it will possible to order it on that page when the new edition 4 is ready.

------------------

Arild.