THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Who's gonna be the first to try this new product.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's gonna be the first to try this new product.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
They are pretty reputable company.....hmm....kinda makes sense!!

http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/firearms/barrelderes.aspx

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Already did!!! On one rifle anyway, it made no difference, but the rifle was already shooting sub moa, but a friend used one on his Wby Vanguard .270, it reduced his group size from 1½" to ¾" at 100yds with the same load, no other changes made at the same range session. For $12, it may be well worth it to try if no other options are working.

Tim

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
I may have to try this.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
If it works it would be worth it. But it sure looks like a pimple on someone's private body parts.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The product does work, but not the way they say it does. It affects the harmonics of the gun by sliding the weight up and down the barrel (remember the Browning BOSS?) If it reduces the harmonics, it can't be by much.

I wouldn't mind one on my gun becuase it would keep it from sliding down the wall and falling over. Oh, and I am not vein about the looks of my guns.

If you don't want to mess around with tuning handloads, this little gizmo would be the way to go.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
anything that touches your barrel wil have some effect on how the barrel flexes,twists and vibrates as the bullet is forced through.
my 243 shoots groups almost twice as big with a suppressor on.
whether this gismo has the effect you want is anybody"s guess. at that price i"d like to try it. any excuse to fire a rifle for a few hours is a good one!
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let us know what you think of this abortion when it comes loose on a cold November morning and you miss that buck of a lifetime! nut Some will try it, I bet it ends up dust covered in the corner of a shooting bench!

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did some searching using google last night. Evidently it's been around for about a year. Graf and sons has them for $14.99. From what I saw it doesn't move around very easy--you need to put oil on your barrel and once it's in place it stays there until you get some oil under it again to move it around. I didn't find a whole lot of testimonials that were either positive or negative. I have a ultralight weatherby with a thin barrel that's a decent shooter.....maybe for $14.99 it might be fun to see if I can get a little more out of the gun. I've spent money much more foolishly!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
used this system about 48 years ago. i was shooting on a rifle team at the university of dayton.

a friend who was engineering major designed one using an adjustable water hose clamp. he simply slid it up and down the barrel untill best accuracy was attained.

at longer range it worked. but for indoor rifle it was not real effective.

when he first approached the rest of us with the idea, we thought he didn't have both oars in the water. engineers in those days were held in the same high esteem as computer geeks are today. the guy turned out to be a car engine builder par excellence.

it was probably a good idea at the time but i just could never get used to seeing a hose clamp on my barrel.

it does change harmonics and reduces barrel whip.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It isn't gonna move very easy, I use WD40 on it to install or remove it, without something on the barrel to provide a little lubrication, it won't move even with a lot of effort, it will turn itself inside out and roll off the barrel before it slides. It's made of the same material as their excellent Limbsaver recoil pads, the same as the Rem R3 since Sims makes em for Rem.....The hole in it is about 3/8" so it won't fit over a front sight without a lot of work, if at all. Sportsmans Warehouse sells em for either $11.99 or $12.99, don't remember for sure, it's been a while.

Tim

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
They are being experimented with by the 1,000 yard benchrest and F class crowd. They are very common on the rimfire benchrest guns.

Look for comments and discussion on the benchrest forums.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is another item you all might be interested in:

http://www.henrich3.com/biathalon_stabilizer.htm

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Here is another item you all might be interested in:

http://www.henrich3.com/biathalon_stabilizer.htm

I have a Biathlon Stabilizer on my Ruger Mini-30. It works great. I talked to Richard Henrich a while back and he told me he is working on a new design at the request of some bench rest shooters. Can't wait to see it.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve, Are you the one who originally posted the link to this Stabilizer?

I've looked it over at their Web Site and it does look like it has a lot of potential. As an Engineer though, I do believe I'd alter the design so it could be used on a larger variety of Barrel Contures. Maybe Inserts similar to what Burris uses in their Signature Rings, but with different dimensions for different Barrel O.D.s. Or, long Inserts of different thicknesses to compensate for O.D.s.

Darn shame to have such a potentially fine "Tuner" and it only fits a few Barrels.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Steve, Are you the one who originally posted the link to this Stabilizer?

I've looked it over at their Web Site and it does look like it has a lot of potential. As an Engineer though, I do believe I'd alter the design so it could be used on a larger variety of Barrel Contures. Maybe Inserts similar to what Burris uses in their Signature Rings, but with different dimensions for different Barrel O.D.s. Or, long Inserts of different thicknesses to compensate for O.D.s.

Darn shame to have such a potentially fine "Tuner" and it only fits a few Barrels.

I think I was the one that posted the Stabilizer's site.
The biathlon Stabilizer will fit on all of my off the rack rifles from 260 Rem to 9.3X62. Don't know much about the diameter of custom barrels. This a quote from and email Richard Henrich send me awhile back, hope it helps.

I have designed a new unit(at the request of benchrest shooters) for
> centerfire
> benchrest. It fits barrels from .900 to 1.066 O.D. It is made of
> aluminum,bead
> blasted and clear coated. It weighs 97 grams(same as the Biathlon). It is
> the
> same length as the biathlon, but more streamlined in appearence. They
> should be
> available in about 3 weeks
>> Thanks

This is a quote from an email I received from Richard Henrich.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
STEVE

CHECK OUT PRECISIONSHOOTING MAGAZINE MAY 2005 EDITION. GO TO THEIR WEBSITE AND CLICK THE MAG COVER AND READ THE ARTICLE.

LIKE I SAID IN MY EARLIER POST THE ITEM HAS BEEN FOOLED WITH FOR MANY MANY YEARS AND MY FRIEND MAY NOT HAVE BEEN THE FIRST TO FUTZ WITH IT.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A shooting mag in the UK recently did an article on this device. It's essentially a ring of heavy dampening rubber.
They tried 5 different rifles in 5 different calibres and also had a techno-geek study its effects using a high speed harmonics recording device.
Essentially the results were that it gave negligable improvement in group size. Concluded that it's a gimmick.

Posts: 157 | Location: Scotland at the mo. | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotsGun:
A shooting mag in the UK recently did an article on this device. It's essentially a ring of heavy dampening rubber.
They tried 5 different rifles in 5 different calibres and also had a techno-geek study its effects using a high speed harmonics recording device.
Essentially the results were that it gave negligable improvement in group size. Concluded that it's a gimmick.

Are you talkiing about the "LimbSaver", the "Biathlon Stabilizer" or some other device??