Tools

Anyone have a Savage Striker?
 Login/Join

<bearlake>
posted
How do you like it?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I have a 510 in blue, 708, first year issue.. wasn't even a cataloged loading when I got it.

I love it, shoots great, and without the brake you have a real 14" barrel.. and believe me, you'll be grateful for that additional 2 inches.. ( i hear that all the time [Cool] )

points nice... generous magazine, decent grip..

and if you bought a left bolt, right handle repeater in a rifle caliber from (elsewhere) you would spend, at least, 6 times as much.

Mine groups h139gr right under 2 moa at 200, at 2650 ish

downside,
if you get an older one, you'll need to replace the trigger as it's muddy as a ford tractor gearshift

it's really hard to carry the dang thing... nothing to attach to.

jeffe

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<bearlake>
posted
What kind of scope do you have on it?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
For target shooting, a tasco customshop 30mm tube, fixed 7 power with a dot.. for hunting, a little bitty burris 2 or 2.5
jeffe

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bearlake, I've got a Savage Striker in 308 Win and like everyone of them I've ever heard of, it's a shooter! I've had a HARD time trying to find a load that will NOT shoot MOA or less w/ 3 shots at 100 yds! [Big Grin] Yes, the trigger as it comes from the factory is BAD... When I bought mine, there were no aftermarket triggers available so I worked on it myself. Despite being rather "mechanically challenged", I managed to get a pretty good trigger at 3#. Used some instructions shared over the 'net that utilized just adjusting the screws w/o any stoning. I prefer the handling characteristics of my Contenders to my Striker, but of course I didn't know this until after I'd spent some time afield w/ the Striker. Scoping a Striker can be a problem if using a short scope such as the Burris 2-7X or Simmons 2.5-7X, but that's a whole 'nother story I'll save unless someone's interested.... [Confused] I have a Burris 2-7X handgun scope on mine, using Burris high Z-rings and SSK's T'SOB mount. I prefer carrying mine w/ a sling. Mount the front swivel stud on the forearm as per Savage's instructions; I prefer placing the rear swivel stud at the rear of the stuck, just below the safety, instead of at the bottom of the rear grip as Savage recs. If you place the rear swivel stud as I did, just be careful to keep the stud away from the trigger linkage. You can use about any rifle sling, but my favorite the the handgun sling available from Virgin Valley Custom Guns. (http://www.virginvalleyguns.com/slings.cfm) Anyway, I think I've got just the stand to whitetail deer hunt from this year that would be PERFECT for the Striker--a 500 yard power line 80 yards wide w/ a good sized box stand near the middle edge. Don't you think a 150 gr spitzer at 2500 fps would be up to the job? [Wink] Gary T.

[ 10-06-2002, 09:44: Message edited by: Gary T ]

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote