THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Media that won't plug primer flash hole & "home-brew" additive.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Media that won't plug primer flash hole & "home-brew" additive.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
I have been using corn cob media specifically made and treated for cleaning/polishing brass. I tumble my brass before I size it and then for a little while after I size it to remove sizing lube. This second tumbling always results in many primer flash holes being filled with media. Is there a size of media that can be purchased that will not clog the flash hole? What size am I looking for? If I purchase untreated media, anybody have a "home-brew" cleaning/polishing additive?

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just toss my finished rounds into my corncob media to remove the lube. I don't buy into the tumbler breaking down the powder idea, especially for just the short enough time to remove the lube.

As far as treating the media, I've heard of many people using regular auto polish. Never tried it myself though....

Posts: 139 | Location: Fairmont, WV | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tumble my brass before depriming. Tumbling doesn't seem to clean the primer pockets very well anyway.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Course walnut shells work pretty well, but occasionally you sdtill get a granual into the flash hole. I tumble before I deprime so it just doesn't matter. Using non treated cob or shells & add Dillon case polish or Nufinish car polsih works well.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you lead a good life, in Heaven they have corn cob media that doesn't clog but here on earth, a Bic Stik works about as well as anything I've tried.
Since I lightly lube the inside neck of my bottle neck cases before resizing, I like to tumble them before I prime, etc to get the lube out of the neck. And it gets the worst of the crud out of the primer pocket.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try adding a few cap fulls of 3M Professional Swirl removing polish , Finesse-it 2.( Part # 05928 or 051131 ). It contains NO silicones , wax or other garbage . I add it to my Dillon large tumbler with Walnut media . I even have a mixture of both Cob and Walnut which I add 2-3 cap fulls of that stuff to clean nasty cases when need be !. Pour the cap fulls around on the media don't just pour in one place . It doesn't take a lot !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Whether I use corn cob or walnut shells I get media in the flash hole from time to time... I simply have my universal decap die in hand and when I find some media in the flash hole I just drop the case in the decap die... The media is gone and I'm off to the next case...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote