New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm BR Reloading Question AGAIN
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the difference between 6mm BR Remington and 6mm BR Norma?

[ 09-10-2003, 23:40: Message edited by: AlanC ]

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The dimensions are slightly different. I can't remember which way it goes, but I believe you can't chamber Rem brass in a chamber cut for the Norma dimensions. Could be wrong. Do a search on this forum for "6 BR", that will turn up the truth.

If you are having your chamber cut, do yourself a favor and have the chamber cut to fit Lapua brass. It is a bit more expensive, but oh so dimensionally uniform! I believe you'll need a neck of .271 - .272" for that brass.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alan, I lied to you, you had to search for "6 BR Norma" to come up with this, for instance:

Good post about 6mm BR Rem vs Norma vs Lapua

- mike

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I have a gun chambered for the Lapua brass what dies do I order???? Are there separate dies for the Remington BR and the Norma BR????

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming you are not into benchrest shooting - in which case your reloading equipment would become somewhat more specialized. For "normal" use, one could recommend a set of Redding Competition Dies - including a Neck Bushing Die, a Body Die and a Competiton Seater. The bushings on the neck die would allow you some control over how much you want to size your necks. Normally, these dies allow you to load with very little run-out. Should you ever want to FL size, the combination neck- and body-die would do the trick. The Redding dies are not exactly cheap, but you should be able to walk away with a die set like this for maybe less than 150$.

For less money, a Lee Collet neck sizing die might do service as well - at considerably less cost. You'd still need the Redding body die and a good seater (e.g. Redding or Forster). Maybe 100$ all together?

Given that you'd normally only be necksizing, either die setup would work for 6mm BR in the Rem or Norma configuration.

I'm not going to pretend that I can suggest more specialized reloading equipment - such as BR shooters would use - but for such application one would probably go with a chamber requiring cases to be neck turned, and such minimal dimensions that sizing would not normally be necessary. Anyway, way over my head...

- mike

[ 09-11-2003, 01:40: Message edited by: mho ]