New
Find
Notify
Tools

how often do you change your media?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How often do you change the media in your tumbler/vibrator?

Thanks,
Steve

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Not that often if ever. Will add a touch of polish now and them

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I’m not a real stickler for shiny brass like a number of people around here. I use tumbling media to clean off sizing lube. If the brass comes out shiny then that’s a bonus but shiny is not my goal.

To answer your question, about once a year.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just changed mine out a after using it for around 6 months.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When it quits cleaning well, when ever that happens to be.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Now that I've gone to stainless steel, probably never.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not very often, I'm like Mick. I'm a cleaner not a shiner.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Not in years and thousands of rounds....I just pour in more car wax and go.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesNever have . Just keep adding a little every year . Seems to work! Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I can't remember the last time I replaced any media.

I do have about three containers of different media that I use for different situations, but I've never replaced any of it.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Depends how dirty it gets. If I clean a lot of range pick up it gets changed more often.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When my brass stops coming out super shiny, that's when I throw out the media.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
When it gets dirty.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If this is any indication ; I've changed my media maybe 5-6 times in 44 years an I used to load 5-12K rounds per year during much of that time .Now with my newer media I'll never change it again ,no reason to .

Now the factors which dictate the necessity of changing one's media varies by a number of things . Number an size of cases ,Sizing lube, dirt , tarnish ,powder used ,length of time between firing an cleaning and type of polishing or cleaning media one's using . An how shiny one wishes to keep that brass !.

Want to extend it's useful life on walnut or corncob ? add baking soda !. The amounts vary depending on media and it's container's size

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quality walnut media lasts a longtime!

Lyman Green Corn Cob just doesn't do it for me. It seems done after the first time that you remove case lube with it.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
quote:

If this is any indication ; I've changed my media maybe 5-6 times in 44 years an I used to load 5-12K rounds per year during much of that time .Now with my newer media I'll never change it again ,no reason to .

Now the factors which dictate the necessity of changing one's media varies by a number of things . Number an size of cases ,Sizing lube, dirt , tarnish ,powder used ,length of time between firing an cleaning and type of polishing or cleaning media one's using . An how shiny one wishes to keep that brass !.

Want to extend it's useful life on walnut or corncob ? add baking soda !. The amounts vary depending on media and it's container's size

salute archer archer

How much baking soda for 5 lbs of Corn and for 5lbs of walnut?

Thanks,
Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get ground walnut hulls from the feed store for less than $10 for 50 pound bag (same stuff the reloading companies sell for 20x as much. I change it every couple of months or when the mood strikes me

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
The reasons my walnut grounds don't get changed is I use cut up fabric softener sheets cut into small pieces. The bowel and the bucket are cleaned as used. About every third run Bon-Ami is added to the media.The tumbler is run outside with the top off and a lot of the powdery stuff is blown away. The dirt is really minimized. must admit the stuff in the tumbler is somewhat darker than new stuff, but it's been going for years. Once in a while if the cases are really sooty I give the media a couple shots of orange 409. May not be the best but it seems to work for me. waveroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About once a year in the heat of summer I lay the media out on newspaper and let it set in the sun all day. Pick it up with my shop vac, put it back in the tumbler and it's ready to go again. Cleans it up fairly well.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never, since I switched to porcelain beads about 10 years ago in a liquid tumbler.

They work like magic, do an excellent job on black powder crud, and I think I paid $40 way back then, so far, far cheaper in the long run.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote