THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Interesting SH thread on Lee collet dies and bump dies

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting SH thread on Lee collet dies and bump dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts are about like Rafael's on the subject. In addition I shoot a lot of iron sighted rifles so the argument for improved performance is moot when my existing dies, many of which are far older than Lee collet dies, are perfectly adequate.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with Clark Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
I tend to agree with Clark Wink

That is probably a good thing.
I would hate to see you and Clark get into it.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My only comment would be that the guy who thinks BR winning scores are in the 1/2 MOA range either does not know how to figure MOA at ranges over 100 yards or, more likely has not seen winning BR aggs.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amamnn:
My only comment would be that the guy who thinks BR winning scores are in the 1/2 MOA range either does not know how to figure MOA at ranges over 100 yards or, more likely has not seen winning BR aggs.

10mph wind defects bullets ~ .7 moa at 100y and 1.5 moa at 200 yards per Quicktarget.

I have seen a wind in SE Oregon at 15 mph that stayed steady, and we adjusted our scopes.

In Western WA, the flag changes directions every few seconds.
There is no way to sort out the effect of different sizing dies in that shooting environment.
So you either wait for the day when a 6' surveyor's tape hangs straight down, or use a concentricity gauge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok-- and what has that got to do with the aggs? I shoot in my fav conditions, a fairly consistient .45" or so group at 200 yards and finish mainly in the bottom end of the top 10.
For those who do not know how aggregates are figured in group BR shooting .4" if shot 5 times at 200 yards would be an agg of .20, which is 2 TENTH (2/10) of MOA. 5 relays of 5 shots added up and averaged, divided by 2 for 200 yards 3 for 300 and not divided at all for 100, and so on for the other distances, though the relays may be of 10 shots for longer ranges depending upon the rules of the sanctioning agency. The post in the cited URL claimed that .5 (1/2) MOA was a typical BR group. This is not so.

BTW-- I shoot in Western WA and if you have two flags pointing the same direction at any time EVER on my home range, it's because there is no wiind at all. This actually happened once. Even so, winning aggs are still in the various tenths of MOA range depending upon the distance.

This has gotten fairly far afield from the original subject. I only meant to mention this because when someone uses information I know to be wrong in order to try to prove a point it makes me suspect his entire arguement, and the poster mentioned was clearly ignorant on this subject, which he brought up in support of his position............

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best I can tell from actual experience is a 500 grain 45 cal BPCR bullet at 1200 FPS will drift about 1 inch at 100 meters when the wind is moving at about a fast walking pace. Makes shooting fun.

OTH the best group I ever shot was in variable wind conditions with a 6X47 in a 40X-BR Remington. There was a 3 foot tall grass stem topped with a fluffy tassel directly in front of my target at 100 yards. Not wanting to call a cease fire to cut down the weed I had to wait until the breeze moved the tassel about 4 inches to one side. I marked a place on the target board that coincided with the most extreme displacement of the tassel. Sighting on the target I waited until the tassel hovered over the spot marked and then fired. The finished 5 shot group was about .375 in diameter. That group was fairly easy to shoot with my range provided "wind flag".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amamnn:
Ok-- and what has that got to do with the aggs? I shoot in my fav conditions, a fairly consistient .45" or so group at 200 yards and finish mainly in the bottom end of the top 10.
For those who do not know how aggregates are figured in group BR shooting .4" if shot 5 times at 200 yards would be an agg of .20, which is 2 TENTH (2/10) of MOA. 5 relays of 5 shots added up and averaged, divided by 2 for 200 yards 3 for 300 and not divided at all for 100, and so on for the other distances, though the relays may be of 10 shots for longer ranges depending upon the rules of the sanctioning agency. The post in the cited URL claimed that .5 (1/2) MOA was a typical BR group. This is not so.

BTW-- I shoot in Western WA and if you have two flags pointing the same direction at any time EVER on my home range, it's because there is no wiind at all. This actually happened once. Even so, winning aggs are still in the various tenths of MOA range depending upon the distance.

This has gotten fairly far afield from the original subject. I only meant to mention this because when someone uses information I know to be wrong in order to try to prove a point it makes me suspect his entire arguement, and the poster mentioned was clearly ignorant on this subject, which he brought up in support of his position............

I know I have a couple rifles that will shoot in the .4s there on a no wind day, but more like 2" on a typical day, so I never go there on a typical day. I shoot 100y on less than 3mph and 50 yards on less than 6mph days.

It is only good enough to go on 10% of the days.

If you go to accuweather.com and type in Issaquah WA, you can get wind speed in mph hourly predictions for ~ one week in advance for free.

But it sounds like you know much more about it, and have some super fast wind doping technology that is over my head.